Kit for DAS - Can I get away with it?

You should consider hiring some gear. I hired textile jacket and trousers from the bike hire place in Acton (cannot remember their name) They also hired out helmets, boots and gloves.

I imagine that other places that hire bikes will also hire protective gear.

If you can get to Watford J&S have a good range of boots - bought my Oxtar’s from them on Ebay and managed to take them back at Watford to change for a pair that actually fit!! Be wary of cheap boots though, bought some of Busters for £30 and the sole came away from the toe within a day during my DAS.

dont get too hung up on the right gear mate focus on your riding and attitude to riding and of course the training and test:).
i did my test in Summer 07, i wore jeans and an RST textile jacket, and my lid(i even asked if i could wear my dark visor:D this was a no, but your allowed to waer sunglasses underneath your visor), i wore alpinestar trainer/boots, made for riding, but not as good as proper bike boots, IE Sidi’s (wich i wear) or another brand. boots are expensive, but should the worst happne they may save your foot/ankle.

Jeans may be a bit cold in this weather, but you coud look at some draggin jeans, or some textile trousers.

as a footnote it doesnt matter what bike your riding, ride with the right gear, dont get me wrong i will and do ride in jeans, but i NEVER ride in anything but my Sidi boots, and i always wear my a biek jacket, tetxile or leather whatever teh weather…dont make me show you pics of what happened to a mate who had an off in a t-shirt:sick::smiley:

Well, today i went and bought some TCX Infinity… Didnt exactly intend to but they fit like a glove and feel amazingly comfortable… :slight_smile:

So much for not having any cash, huh? (Thats what the CC is for).

Also ordered the Weise Hornet High Vix Jacket.

That’ll do me for the DAS. I will worry about gloves and lid later. :slight_smile:

i bought mine from harpers on romford road! nice sales guys who know their stuff.

Was it Raceways? They also have a branch in South London I think.

I did my DAS in textile jacket, jeans and trainers, with my own helmet which wasn’t anything special. I think the important thing is to focus more on riding well and good roadcraft.
Common sense suggests that not everyone starting out at this level is going to have all the gear but once up and running you should definitely get the lot.

Now that I have passed and have a 600 I never go anywhere not fully kitted out, leathers boots etc with a MUCH better helmet as well. Got it all before I even collected the bike from the dealer.

Good luck with your test Carter.

[quote]
Carter (03/03/2009)

My instructor said it is good to make a good impression on examiner and part of this is having the right kit.

Is he right do you think and if he is what should I get?

I’m an instructor. I always advise my pups to dress properly. I think first impressions count. I bought everything i needed for my DAS, but then i knew i was getting a big bike the same day, so would need it anyway.

+1 top lads @harpers:slight_smile:

Madness. Get some sturdy boots and a decent enough leather jacket that you’ve already got and wear them.

As pointed out, you won’t fail for not wearing the best gear. Nor should the examiner be passing you for having it: “well, your riding’s crap but I love the Arai Monster, so you’re a pass”.

If you’re getting kit because you’re worried you’re going to have an accident on the day, then you’ll fail the test anyway.

Pass your DAS, find the bike you want to start on, THEN dump a grand on all the gear.

Big day tomorrow. Come on!

Best of luck!

Failed…:frowning:

Was told to go approach two mini roundabouts, go across the first one, then right at the second. The lane was narrow and there was a right turn lane also for traffic coming the other way to turn between the roundabouts.

I failed to notice, because I think of the traffic in the right hand turn lane, that my narrow lane split into two, and I did not filter into the right hand lane to turn right…

Very annoying, and still slightly amusing; had I done the test in a car I would probably have failed also, despite driving for 7 years!

Eye watering cost to redo…160 quid.

In other news, you lot were right about CB500; I was riding ER-5 and am alraedy annoyed by its poor performance - you still have to use the gears too much and first is a waste of time!

Bad luck - I know what it’s like :frowning:

Good luck with the re-test :cool:

Bad luck mate.

Roundabouts can be a nightmare. Took several strong talkings to from my instructor before I got the hang of them.