I've started a YouTube channel

It’s a lot harder than it looks, so any support would be welcome… I have a lot of room for improvement!

It’s here.

Well, I’m still uploading videos - should anyone be interested the latest one is here :point_left: :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re not contributing to this forum and just using it for free advertising, you won’t get much love in here.

Good grief - advertising??? I have 35 subscribers and it’s a bit of fun. And “not contributing”???

I’ll delete my membership when I get home this evening. In fact, if someone can explain how I’ll do it now.

Can one of the admins delete my account please - I can’t seem to do it?

London Bikers ladies and gentlemen. Really putting the London into Bikers

I’m not sure if that’s directed at me, but I don’t appreciate being slated unnecessarily. I belong to a number of forums and understand protocols well enough.

Don’t worry about the inmates here @anon21671155 they get cranky when strangers turn up and actually start posting content :slight_smile:

You should be able to embed your videos directly into a post if you want to stick around.

1 Like

Not aimed at you mate. I’m just surprised at the rudeness to new members. It reminds me of London hence my witty post :wink: Good luck with the channel mate

1 Like

Oh, okay - thanks guys, and I’ll take a step back from this and carry on as normal. I have actually done my best to engage as regularly as I can, but it’s not always easy when life is keeping you busy as well.

I appreciate the support, by the way.

1 Like

Hi
am i to late are you still uploading videos
if so can i have
the equalise 2
pin

Well, I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Diavel 1260 S yesterday, and although it was only a short test ride I’ve posted a video here for anyone who might be interested.

@anon21671155 You may want to consider editing some of your videos to hide your indiscretions, learningtoride might be a more apt user name :wink:

Hint - Your 40+ mph sorties in the 30’s are worth 6 points and £100 per transgression but the hard acceleration to 50+ in a 30 complete with a blind overtake would be an outright ban in a Magistrates Court. Then you have the audacity to complain that the oncoming motorist having safely overtaken a cyclist is on your side of the road. If I was a gambling man I’d wager when that motorist planned his wide overtake of the cyclist he had a clear view of a clear road ahead with a blue van in the distant and the last thing he expected was you popping up from behind the van at almost twice the speed limit.

rant over/

2 Likes

Point taken, thanks (although I’m not sure about any “blind overtake”). I have tried to use some kind of blur function but haven’t quite got to grips with it as yet, so I’ll put some more work in.

Blind overtake - when you needed to be on the wrong side of the road to see past the blue van! Taking risks is one thing, taking risks and thinking nothing of it is another, maybe a better idea would be to get to grips with your riding.

Debatable - there was enough distance between me and the van to be safe, and there are many riding schools that will tell you that it’s a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre. Anyway, you’ve made your point, as I said.

I have a working blur function but only after 8 pints of beer
Pin

Almost 6 months on I appreciate but I’m reading this now and thought I’d add my take.

The overtake in question is shown from around 13:10 in the “Out on the Road - Barnet to Little Berkhamstead” video. You’ve said that “many riding schools will tell you it was a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre” while NT has said it’s a “blind overtake”.

In isolation, the overtake at that place could have been a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre near that location, if you have an advanced observer willing to concede there is an acceptability threshold of risks associated with any overtake. Your execution was poor, borderline appalling.

First let me explain why any overtake in that place carries an element of risk. There are numerous driveways in that location. The van could easily have been following a satnav to a client’s house and last minute realised their destination was on the right hand side, launching into it without indication. Probability low, but feasible. The driveway on the left hand side could have had a car that departed quickly. Someone who does that every single day, and usually pulls out without looking very well - if at all - because they are confident that the traffic won’t be dense.

Good execution of an overtake in that location would take both of these eventualities into account, accepting that both possibilities are low enough for you to give yourself space to react should it happen. You didn’t look up the inside of the van before moving out, in fact you hung out in the offside which would be great if they weren’t quite a real threat to the nearside, which you would have completely missed. You were then also moving out into position 6 let’s call it once you were already halfway along the van - what was the point in that? Get there much earlier in my eyes.

All that said, I take a level of acceptability with overtaking risk into account when riding but here that was inexcusable within the context of the rest of the video. Overtaking with two turnings on a van you’d been following for 3 minutes and had ample opportunity to previously clear showed poor decision making in my book, and possibility a lack of confidence/knowledge of the laws regarding the two vehicles. The van of course having to obey a speed limit 10mph lower than you in the nationals that you did nothing about until you found a pretty inappropriate place to do it compared with the others.

None of that meant to be in any way personal, and I hope they just give food for thought next time you are out riding the country lanes. I think it’s important to understand though that your overtake wasn’t a matter of taste, it was simply wrong

2 Likes

I would never dare to say my riding is exemplary but if you are going to put videos of your riding out there on the 'Net, and hope to build a following for it, I would say your riding needs to be exemplary.

And if you can’t manage IAM levels on your whole ride, then careful use of the editing tool is your friend.

1 Like