I've finally given in

@Big_Red_S make sure you have a rain cover for the mount for when you don’t have the nav in there. The connectors foul up quickly otherwise.

The pins on the mount have a rubber push on cap incorporated in the mount to protect from water, dust etc. Having said that in several years of having these mounts have never had issues with the pins though forget to use the cover most the time and they have gotten wet.

Oh, I’ve had them foul up. Must be the acid rain here :slight_smile:

The 660 and 590LM come with weather caps. Do they not come with those any more?

They have a small rubber push on cap

I’ve resolved to try to not have fully decided how good an idea this was until at least post-Christmas, but from a weekend’s riding (two blood runs and a day’s errand-running) this is better than my phone at:

• Plugging in one-handed
  • Not worrying about charging
  • Always being a satnav and never accidentally-switching to something else

And worse at:

• Sending me to petrol stations that haven’t existed for five years
  • Finding its position quickly
  • Recalculating a route quickly when I turn off (perhaps because of a road-closure that’s been in place for years…)
  • Creating a route on-the-fly out of a series of waypoints
  • Showing an overview map that conveys much information

I expect some of this this will get better and the rest just more-acceptable with time, but I’ve really not had the “why didn’t I do this sooner” thing that I keep hearing about other people doing.

The Favourites thing is very crude and unconfigurable (which it may be worth me figuring out Baseamp to fiddle with?) but you can “open” location data with the Garmin Connect Android app, which has the effect of sending the position to the satnav and letting you do what you like with it. I suspect that I’ll carry on using my phone for storing locations and whatnot, and just send them to the satnav as if it were an app (which is all I do currently, between apps).

Right now, I think it’s worth having (and will feel less lacking if I can move more audio-player controls to my headset from my phone) and I’m not really thinking about just getting shot of it yet, but I can’t see myself becoming one of those people who advises other people buy one. This is definitely lacking in almost every way compared to CoPilot and friends, and I’m not (yet) convinced that that’s just familiarity.

Based on the cons mentioned, I wouldn’t buy it.