Italian drivers

I’m guessing the motorway driving isn’t compulsory because not everyone lives near a motorway - I grew up near a cluster of motorways but it would be a right pain in the arse for people in the west country, east Anglia, north Scotland etc.

What I noted on the M1 yesterday is that as soon as it gets vaguely busy, trucks start to permanently occupy the inner 2 lanes, meaning that anyone who wants to go above 60mph gets stuck in one long lane of traffic in the outside lane, doing 55-65mph. Madness.

On certain main roads in Italy lorries are only allowed in lane one during certain hours during the day. I thought it worked well to keep traffic moving.

Trucks are speed limited …by law but due to various methods or company policies this can vary from 50mph to 56mph but some may just peak that … also you are under time constraints with your daily tachograph rules and regulations … so its neccesary to take advantage of the extra 1-4 mph over the vehicle your overtaking and its a pre planned effort but you watch how many cars race up to the back of a truck and brake heavily to slow down instead of just continuing at a steady pace and plan ahead .
Plus regardless of if two lanes are filled with trucks 99% of them will move back into lane 1 once they can do so !
A34 and a23 have those lorry limits for the outside lane