Isn't time weird?

Yesterday, I went to the funeral of my old boss.  He was my first base Inspector when I was posted onto Traffic division and was a real decent nice guy.  His funeral is not the point of this post, because although any funeral is a sad occasion, in his case he was suffering parkinsons and cancer and was 79 and had been in a hospice for a while, and sometimes it is kinder to let them go so that you can remember people as they were in their prime not as they were at the end.

I was fortunate that the best 2 Inspectors I ever served under were both Traffic inspectors.  The one who passed away and Terry, my second base inspector.

No, the point I was going to make, is that, when you have many years in the same job, you develop friendships and comaraderie that goes well beyond any working relationship, and as a Traffic Policeman, that was certainly very true.  We were a close knit team who would back each other up at a drop of a hat, unlike many Policemen these days who have no real interest other than to be authoritarian power junkies  although there are exceptions to the rule.

Anyway, what brought the time issue home, was that when I attended my first funeral after I retired, there were about 50 of us (serving and retired) from the Southern Traffic Area of Thames Valley Police.   We always consider ourselves family, and even those of us who had retired were still considered part of the family.

Yesterday, there were about 20 of us, and it was at this point you realise that time is catching up as the group gets smaller.  I still remember many as younger men in their 30’s, 40’s maybe 50’s, just as they remember me as a young 20 something, and then the penny drops, they are nw in their 70’s and 80’s and I am late 50’s.

We are no longer the young people we remember, we are middle aged or old men and then you start wondering whose funeral we will be attending next.

Then yesterday, there I was talking to someone thinking to myself, the face looks familiar, I recognise the voice, but who the f@ck are you?  And then the penny drops.  In the cae of yesterday, it was my old Traffic Admin Sgt.  I have not seen hom for over 10 years.

I can still remember incidents, people and dates like it was yesterday.  But the memories and pictures in my head don’t match the reality.  

Hence my title, isn’t time weird.  Maybe it is just a sign that we are all getting older…

On the plus side, a funeral is always a good opportunity to catch up and have a good natter.

Time is very surreal if you start thinking about it. I find it weird sitting on a bench, watching people go buy and realising that in 40-50 years none of them probably will be alive, and it’s not something anyone can change. I sometimes think how weird it is that we spend our whole lives learning, improving, building friendships only to close your eyes one day and not wake up. Everything gone in a split second - everything you’ve seen, heard, smelt, said… Then again, I’m one of those people that often wonders about the purpose of life.

haha good topic i started a job 5 weeks ago working in the housing estate i grew up on and next door  to the primary school that i went to 30 years ago,for the last 5 weeks all my child hood memories have been flooding back spent a couple of hours walking around the estate its is so surreal you walk around a corner and see a wall,gate or bench etc that you haven’t seen for 20-30 years and all your memories come back.

Just hide when the girls you snogged on that bench show up - they won’t look the same :slight_smile:

hehehehe don’t think that will be happening the job I’m on actually sits where the first girl i got friendly with used to live…knocked her flat down and built a college there …no chance of her coming back…lol

hehehehe don't think that will be happening the job I'm on actually sits where the fat girl i got friendly with used to live.....knocked her flat down and built a college there ....no chance of her coming back..lol commuter-boy
Why did you knock her flat down?

to build a college?

:flushed: whilst she was still there? :hammer::pick::hammer_and_pick::hammer_and_wrench:

Then yesterday, there I was talking to someone thinking to myself, the face looks familiar, I recognise the voice, but who the f@ck are you? And then the penny drops. In the cae of yesterday, it was my old Traffic Admin Sgt. I have not seen hom for over 10 years.
I went to a '10 years on' work get-together. What struck me was we all felt that no one had changed; yes a few more grey hairs, or a bit less hair, a bit more tummy; but fundamentally everyone was still the same: the same accent, laugh, voice, humour.

Later I looked at the group photo we took on the day and thought: OMG look at all those old guys and girls. 

It seems we remember people by their mannerisms, voices, accents - looks are only one small component.

T.C. - There are two Martin’s on here.  There’s me, the shallow minded one who’s into motorbikes and martial arts, and then there’s whereisgibson, the the popular one who travels the world on his toy.  I hope you’re not referring to me.  

A great post though.  I recently met up with a buddy that I’d not seen for 18 years. 

T.C. - There are two Martin's on here.  There's me, the shallow minded one who's into motorbikes and martial arts, and then there's whereisgibson, the the popular one who travels the world on his toy.  I hope you're not referring to me.  

A great post though.  I recently met up with a buddy that I’d not seen for 18 years. 

Aceman
I promise, I was not referring to you.  I have ammended accordingly.  It is another Martin I know who is in the Job in North London who looks in on this site from time to time.

I have ammended accordingly

Thank you T.C.

Thank you T.C. Aceman
No problem, you are welcome

Really good post, having moved back to my childhood haunt, it’s really odd recognising places and knowing where to go, yet not really remembering the details too much.

I rode down a road I used to cycle down to get to a boyfriends house, every 2 minutes I’m thinking ‘oh, here I am, oh I’m here now!’ Not realising before how close everything is!