Is this expensive?

Hello,

My brake rotors and pads need replacing soon and my front break feels very spongy, plus i need a 4K service after de 24K service (according to the service manual), I’ve asked for a quote to the shop I’ve been taking the bike too. See picture below, does it seem excessive to you? Average? Good value ?

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

that looks pretty reasonable for OEM parts.

I’d take it to Scorch though, I bet you he could do it for less

me_groovy
+1

its not cheap but its not expensive either, normal shop rates.

obviously an independent mechanic like Scorch will do it for less.  parts not going to be cheaper.

Why do your discs need replacing?

What gets done at a 4,000 mile service?

Why do your discs need replacing?

What gets done at a 4,000 mile service?

National Treasure
Apparently they are worn out and it was recommended on my latest service to consider replacing them on the next service. I'm no expert but they don't look new either, I cant' really make a judgement, but I don't want to risk it with the brakes.

And as for the service.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/PDFs/DL650K4_svc_man.pdf (page 22)  

me_groovy
Do you take your bike to Scorch ?

no, I have a warranty I need to maintain.

the old bikes I do myself although I have used Scorch in the past when I’ve got stuck

Also depends if the parts are OEM or aftermarket. I’m often shocked at the prices of OEM parts such as bolts - soon adds up when you need 10 of them. 

I love a good read of a manual and I like to know what I’m getting and why.

£132.00 for a 4,000 mile service, according to the manual, comes down to an oil change without replacing the oil filter, inspection of this and that and a little spannering to make sure nothing is falling off.

The total labour charge looks to be £185.00. That’s a £50.00 labour to fit the discs which is very reasonable. However, £100 labour for the service and £35.00 labour to replace the brake fluid looks excessive.

More questions

Why have replacement discs been recommended? Whether they need replacing should be a matter of fact not what they look like. Are they cracked? Is the thickness < 4.5 mm? Is the run out > 0.30 mm? Page 7.65 of the manual refers.

What are all the bolts for?  The manual makes no mention of replacing the disc bolts when replacing discs and torqued to 23 Nm they’re hardly likely to be stressed. Unclear what the other three bolts are for, however, £35.00 for bolts, I’d be asking why?

“hardly likely to be stressed” but if the service manual says they should be replaced then a proper dealer will do that.

Thanks all for your valid points, I will be asking some questions for sure

The right thing to do should be to take it to an independent mechanic and ask for a second opinion. Then you should have the full picture to make your mind up.

I doubt very much if there stressed bolts as "stressed bolts have a longitude stress axis not a sideways stress loading

"hardly likely to be stressed" but if the service manual says they should be replaced then a proper dealer will do that. me_groovy
My point was that the Service Manual makes no mention of replacing them, it only specifies the use of Suzuki 1360 Super thread lock, a high temperature thread lock, Loctite 272 would be my preferred choice.

I doubt very much if there stressed bolts as "stressed bolts have a longitude stress axis not a sideways stress loading

Wise
Surely you'd get shear stress across the bolt?

I think wise meant “stretch bolt”, which are the sort that deform on first use and shouldn’t be re-used. 

Well, after reading your comments I’ve decided that I’ll take it only for the front brake bits and new rear brake pads because they look and feel worn as some of you saw yesterday at BM.
I believe I can do an oil change myself (or at least I should learn how to) and I haven’t stressed the bike so much to justify the price of that revision. 

Once again many thanks for your comments, always helpful.

Surprised nobody has yet suggested going to the OMC & doing it yourself with an experienced mechanic on hand for advice & support.

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/

Surprised nobody has yet suggested going to the OMC & doing it yourself with an experienced mechanic on hand for advice & support.

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/

Pat
+1