is it a serious problem for me?

i was flashed on my bike by a speed camera near the tower bridge last night, is it a penalty, or some penalty points off my license? I just got my motorbike license last month. i was penalized for speeding a few years ago, 3 points off my driving license. is it a big problem? i was careless yesterday, and i am now worrying about my license. thanks for your reading.

3 points and a fine :frowning:

depends on what speed you caught at

It’s a 20mph limit over Tower Bridge. I’m guessing you were travelling quicker than that. Tough luck. It’s always jammed up over there, and it’s so tempting to go over 20mph (even if you know the limit - and there’s a whole other debate as to whether the signs are adequate on that stretch of the road - Tower Bridge is listed, and iirc there’s some debate about whether it has less signage than usual because of that) because you can be stuck there for ages, even on a bike.

Where exactly were you flashed? If I remember correctly the camera’s on Tower Bridge itself are SPECS, and don’t flash, but are forward facing. There is a traffic light camera southbound on Tower Bridge Road at the junction with Tooley Street (south of the river) which should only activate if you’ve gone through the junction on red. I believe there are a couple of GATSO cameras on The Highway, but I don’t go north of the river very often…You have approximately 14 days to endure (assuming the bike you were riding is registered to you) . Hopefully it will one of the many GATSO cameras without film and you’ll get away with it. To avoid future agonising waits, keep your vision up!Oh, and it’ll be £60 + 3 points unless you were doing 30mph more than the limit in which case you’ll be getting a personal invitation to attend magistrates court… and sadly they’ll be looking to relieve you of your driving licence for a while

I wouldn’t be massively concerned, I’m sure most people on here have been flashed by a speed camera and never heard anything about it.

I know I have :slight_smile:

to be more accurate…

Attachments

towerbridge500.jpg

Fairly easy to be caught by those ones, esp if you are travelling east as the one is hidden round the corner. depends on the speed, but if you got the old 3 points more than 3 years ago and you were not going massively over the speed limit, it will just be as it was back then, 3 points on your licence. Nowadays that is nothing really, tell your insurance company but they probably wont increase your premiums, if your old points are out of date…might be a slight increase if you move up to 6 pts

How long ago did you get your previous three points? Is this your first license or do you already have a full car license and it is your bike classification you got last month?

i have my driving license for 15 years, and bike license was added last december. I was given 3 penalty point more than 3 years ago, when i drove outward on A2, just passing bexleyheath.

ya going to jail !! :slight_smile:

points make prizes so dont worry I got loads ya want some ? :smiley:

So you don’t have to worry about the new the new driver’s law which means your license is recinded if you get six points on a new license a you have had yours for 15 years.

I suspect you have only the 3 points and the £60 fine stuff mentioned above - and your insurance will probably not be affected.

If the old 3 points were added to your licence less than 4 years ago, then they still remain shown on the licence.If they were added more than 3 years ago, then any new points you get will not be added to the number of old points you had. So really, if you receive points now, you will only have 3 points on your licence and not 6.

If you receive more than 6 points on a new driving / riding licence (licence less than 2 years old) then you will have to send the licence back to DVLA and take all the written and practical tests again before they give it back to you.

Basically, if you receive these new points…Don’t get anymore.

But if he has had a car license for 15 years it is not a new license. The new driver law doesn’t apply if you have a new classification (motorcycle) added to an existing license (car) that you have had for more than two years. The way the law works is that the license is issued when you pass your first test, and each subsequent test is an alteration to the conditions of the license and not a new license. See the footnote at the bottom of this official website -

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/newdrivers01.htm

[quote]
Giuliano (04/02/2008)

But if he has had a car license for 15 years it is not a new license. The new driver law doesn’t apply if you have a new classification (motorcycle) added to an existing license (car) that you have had for more than two years. The way the law works is that the license is issued when you pass your first test, and each subsequent test is an alteration to the conditions of the license and not a new license. See the footnote at the bottom of this official website - http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/newdrivers01.htm[/quote]Cheers…Didn’t know that.

No probs! I don’t think they want you to know!