Is anyone more excited than this...

woman about landing a metal box on a giant ice cube comet…

Anyone here brave enough to attempt to restrain the Professor… :w00t:

She might calm down once they tell her the harpoons didn’t fire and the signal is only a single bar… :crying:

fair wax to her, the culmination of five years of her work. :slight_smile:

lol, she said 25 years!!!

Call me boring, but spending 25 years and €1.5billion to land a metal box (badly) 6.5 billion miles away on a large chunk of ice is hardly something to shout about that will advance humanity here on earth.

Should have spent the time & money on something which genuinely affects humanity with the potential to change thousands or millions of ‘real’ lives here on planet earth.

Oh I don’t know, maybe something like a cure for asthma/diabetes/the common cold… or build a 300mph motorbike which runs on a pack of duracell…

That’s my issue with space scientists - we have diagrams of our solar system - look at it in all its glory through the powerful telescopes we have - we don’t have any craft capable of light speed travel or enough Polish builders to develop Mars - so lets just look at it through our telescopes and be happy with that.

They should have learnt something from Beagle 2 which they landed in a hole and didn’t even send in the tape to You’ve Been Framed :frowning:

As a direct result of space experiments, we got LCD watches developed back in the 70’s. There were other things too, but I can’t remember them at present.

oooh, brilliant!!! That completely made redundant clockmakers who made the first spring clock mechanism in 1510 without the help of space scientists hadn’t yet been invented :smiley:

Maybe some of that €1.5bn should have been spent bad mem… ooh what was I saying…??? :crazy:

The problem with any pure research is that it can take a hundred years before any real use for it is found. I remember reading that the theories covering quantum physics that cover the design and manufacture of modern CPU is actually a hundred years old, and without it they wouldn’t be possible.

Did I see correctly on the BBC that she was referenced as an Open University teacher (can’t see vid at work)?

If so, perhaps a tad over excited :smiley:

If these figures are correct, I’m fine with it…

How are we going to get craft capable of light speed travel without developing the slow ones first? A huge proportion of space science does directly affect most people, though, because it’s designing, building and managing satellites. The rest of space research is really quite cheap (and subsidised by commercial space use) and it has to be given how it’s mostly seen as a willy-waving contest by most people who are not particularly interested in it. NASA’s entire space-related budget is smaller than the DoD’s air conditioning bill, for example.

I’m absolutely fine with that because its advanced earth and humanity greatly in the last 25 years.
How much fun have we all had with the blue screen of death…worth every penny!!!

Yes Open university - maybe that’s why it took so long and is still iffy as their metal box might just fall off…

So if you were actually ASKED to give €3.50 towards a piece of research would you have opted for a space box or a cure for cancer?

A statistician can manipulate numbers like this down to zero if they wanted to and tell you you actually somehow profited from it…

So what are we going to get for our €3.5?
A dark grainy 400 pixel picture of some sand (like we’ve seen numerous times before) autographed by the excited professor?
Some sort of discovery which is quickly transferable back to earth like a cure for disease or war?

I’ll bet €3.5 that all we get is a bunch of space scientists proposing an even more expense project adventure to keep them away from real work - perhaps to fly through a solar gas cloud that nobody can actually see even further away… :hehe:

By starting a project to built a craft capable of light speed travel perhaps? And not build slow ones first somehow hoping someone assembles one incorrectly and it is faster that before…

OK, lets have some examples of space research that has directly benefited common people in the street?

Oooh, maybe we should redirect the NASA budget into developing cheaper air conditioning equipment…:w00t:

But there’s all sorts of problems surrounding such a craft that we can sort out before we’ve built it. It’s not very likely that some interstellar transporter would enter the earth’s atmosphere (it’s to spend the entire rest of it’s life not encumbered by one) so it would be designed specifically for transiting the void of space, which isn’t something we can easily try out on earth. And we’d need to deal with putting humans in this confined (and mostly gravity-free) environment for however long it takes them to get to where it’s going, and send them off with all the stuff they’ll need in order to do something useful wherever they’re going. And for that we need to have some idea of what where they’re going looks like, what navigating there is like and some experience of succesfully getting stuff there - ideally all the cock-ups happen only when there’s robots on board. It’s roughly similar to the way we didn’t just not bother with aerospace research until we could build a 727 - you have to research towards the end goal not just because that’s how you get there, but because that’s how you find out what it is. There’s really no way you can demand academia only research things that are of guaranteed use and expect them to ever research anything of use - if you already know what you’re doing then it’s not research.

As for useful outcomes, these aren’t all space, but they are all only one (aeronautic and) space agency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

ok, so in a long winded way you agree this is all pointless and we should just continue to look at space through our telescopes and leave light speed travel & excitement to hollywood directors… :smiley:

Nah, I agree that this is all immediately pointless and so we should carry on doing it :slight_smile:

excellent, prepare your next €3.5…

you are a luddite Markie76

the placing of the satellite in position orbiting a comet travelling at 83000mph is achievement enough, let alone actually managing to land a craft on it, the satellite left earth 10 years ago and the achievement of getting it there is frankly staggering.

now, you dismiss the achievement as pointless, but what was learnt as part of the process of getting it there in the first place? are our little GPS units in our phones and sat navs not a result of space research completed in the 60’s? Have NASA and various other space agencies not been doing R&D into material development that has directly benefited us for decades?

translucent polycrystalline alumina, TPA. is that stuff that kids now have on their braces that pull their teeth in line, thanks to NASA. The reason why we can credit NASA for this is that they were using this material to protect infrared antennae of heat seeking missile trackers.

got a nice comfy memory foam mattress? NASA

comfy shoe insoles? particularly those found in athletic shoes is directly as a result of research done by NASA into how to cushion the feet of astronauts walking on the moon.

scratch resistant lenses on glasses? NASA, developed to protect sensitive instruments on satellites from damage form space dust.

Thermal gloves and boots, like the toasty one you wear on your bike? NASA, at least in the primary development stages, its blooming cold in space.

So, whilst you dismiss space exploration as pointless, mock that individual for celebrating an astonishing achievement, you are, in fact, benefiting directly from the kind of development that relies on the very work that she is doing and you so readily denigrate, and whinge and moan about. think bigger, see the bigger picture, if we all thought like you we would never have made it to the moon, or explored space at all, and our lives, yes, yours and mine, would be worse for it. all that you take for granted, like broadcast telecoms, sat nav, mobile phones and the internet, may not yet be possible because we wouldn’t have had the space race to drive the need for long range telecoms…

the list goes on and on and on and on…

[quote]
Markie76 (13/11/2014)

Almost 1800 things listed here: http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinhist.html and that’s just from Nasa. Includes things like Artificial limbs, Baby formula, Cell-phone cameras, Computer mouse, Cordless tools, Ear thermometer, Firefighter gear, Freeze-dried food, Golf clubs, Long-distance communication, Invisible braces, MRI and CAT scans, Memory foam, Safer highways, Solar panels, Shoe insoles, Ski boots, Adjustable smoke detector, Water filters, UV-blocking sunglasses.

Here’s another list:

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2011/07/21/list-stuff-we-use-everyday-that-was-invented-from-the-space-program/

So in summary, the space program has brought huge benefits to the common person in the street. Beyond that, I firmly believe that we need to explore and expand into space if we’re to have any longer term hope for the human race.

-simon

‘The roof of the Millennium Dome’

A critical everyday item :smiley:

Exploration and the quest for understanding is an intrinsic part of the human condition.
Whilst you may look upon this endeavor as fruitless, pointless even, ask yourself this;

If as a species we never explored, never took those first steps towards understanding,
might we not still be living in caves afraid of the dark?

This mission, along with countless others, is just the beginning and maybe we wont see the benefit in
our lifetimes, maybe it will be our children’s children’s children who ultimately benefit.
To simply suggest it is fruitless is like suggesting that because a cure for cancer might not be found during our
lifetime, we should just stop trying?

To suggest that endeavoring to better understand the origins of us and the workings of the very system that
makes life on earth possible is pointless is to ignore the very duty that each of us has to leave this earth in a better state (whether that be of understanding, of condition or of civilisation) than we were introduced to. Humanity must continue
to better understand itself, its origins and its surroundings. If it doesn’t, it stagnates and dies.

I’d happily pay £3.50 for this.

When I have my spaceship, you’re not welcome in it Mark. You can ride on earth whilst I ride through the stars.

Beautifully put Ollie.