Interview tomorrow

Today is being spent preparing for a job interview tomorrow.

I have my fingers crossed, legs crossed, in fact anything that can be crossed is crossed.

My presentation is ready, shoes shined, haircut done, travel arrangements sorted…

It has been many many years since I had to go to a formal interview, thinking about it, probably 1976 when I had my formal interview to join the Police, so I am starting to get a little nervous now.

Oh well, all I can do is give it my best…

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you be thinking about retirement?

Perhaps 1976 should be your opening line. Emphasise you’ve been headhunted through your whole career.

Be confident, and remember that you are there because you know your stuff.
Think of any questions that might get asked, that might have you on your back foot and prepare a basic answer.
Remember, you arent always expected to know everything. If a question throws you off, take your time, and dont waffle. Honestly can sometimes be the best policy.

Good luck @T.C!

good luck!
and ask questions back - an interview is a two way dialogue :wink:

1 Like

Best of British

I agree. I’ve interviewed and hired many over the years and one particular candidate really stood out. She had researched our company, its projects, its people, and asked some very relevant questions on what our goals were on certain current projects. Not only were we impressed with her preparation but we were in no small part flattered - especially my boss who’s head visibly swelled.

She was hired on the spot.

Proved to be a good hire too.

Best of luck.

Agreed, researching the firm and some of the things they have achieved as well as referencing any articles in the press…always goes down well.

Good luck!

Do the research on the firm, see if there are any questions from that. Have about 5 questions to ask them. Try and relax (it’s hard), take a sip of water if you need a moments thinking time.

Interview them. Ask them:
What can you bring to the table?
Why should you work for them?

Tell them you have an interview with their main competitor next week, for a similar/same role, but paying £5k more, with ten more days paid annual leave. Yet, if you offer you the position before the weekend, you’ll accept it.

But seriously, best of luck Tony.

I think most companies would raise an eyebrow at hearing that…standard seems to be around 25 - to say 35 would be quite incredible (based on the large number of positions/interviews I applied for over the last year or so)

So how did it go?

sn1ke

1h

Aceman:

with ten more days paid annual leave

I think most companies would raise an eyebrow at hearing that…standard seems to be around 25 - to say 35 would be quite incredible (based on the large number of positions/interviews I applied for over the last year or so)

I was being sarcaaaaarrrrssstick.

I have no idea how I did as they were not letting on or giving anything away.

I was one of 5 being interviewed going for one job and that is just today and I don’t know how many more have gone before or will follow.

I will be notified within a week if I have made it to second interview, but I am working on the basis that I blew it so that when they say no, I won’t be dissapointed.

1 Like

And I guess you don’t know what they’re looking for exactly but as nothing went wrong you’re in with a good chance. Fingers crossed for you.

That’s a good way to look at it. That tends to be my approach too.

I thought I’d really blown the phone interview for my current job. Unfortunately it fell over the rig up for Crisis at Christmas, so I wasn’t in the right frame of mind (or so I thought).

Exactly. Additionally I do’t know who I was up against or what their skill set might be, so rather than get my hopes up, all I can do is wait and see what transpires.