Insuring bike without a licence?

My mate is in a bit of a predicament. He is moving house, but the departing/moving in dates don’t quite stack up, so he needs to store his things somewhere temporarily (including the motorbike). Big yellow storage said he can store the bike with them along with all his other things, provided he drains the oil and petrol, and provides them the insurance certificate for the bike.

The problem is, he doesn’t have insurance because he doesn’t have a full licence yet. He found a great deal on the bike, so bought it before he had time to get the licence. If he can get the insurance on it, though, then I can ride it to the storage facility (I’m insured to ride other bikes).

So, can he insure it without a full bike licence (he has a provisional since he already passed the CBT, but it’s a 600cc bike)? It would also ideally need to be temporary (i.e. a month) insurance.

he could get it insured in your name. nothing illegal doing that

So, can he insure it without a full bike licence (he has a provisional since he already passed the CBT, but it's a 600cc bike)? It would also ideally need to be temporary (i.e. a month) insurance.
It's got to be worth a few phone calls. A friend of mine has just insured his Provisional Licence 17 year old son on an Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 for £500 - I was gobsmacked, I was expecting to hear north of £2,000.
So, can he insure it without a full bike licence (he has a provisional since he already passed the CBT, but it's a 600cc bike)? It would also ideally need to be temporary (i.e. a month) insurance.
It's got to be worth a few phone calls. A friend of mine has just insured his Provisional Licence 17 year old son on an Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 for £500 - I was gobsmacked, I was expecting to hear north of £2,000. Michael748
can custard be called on that statement...no way I believe that ;)
he could get it insured in your name. nothing illegal doing that me_groovy
How would that work? Do I insure it just like I would my own? Do I need to specify that I do not own the bike?

could you not just take out one of those temp insurance things? that would probably be much easier 

could you not just take out one of those temp insurance things? that would probably be much easier  The Sleeper
That is what I'm looking for. But how/where?
he could get it insured in your name. nothing illegal doing that me_groovy
How would that work? Do I insure it just like I would my own? Do I need to specify that I do not own the bike? Slacker
He insures you as the rider I believe was ment - but i'd phone up the companies and see what they say, an insurance broker might help matters.

Heh, well. I called my insurer trying to put his bike on my policy. While I was trying to sort that out, the insurer asked me to sort out my address issue first (I moved to a new address and informed them through email but didn’t get the response yet). Apparently, since my new address is a hotel (where I’m temporary staying until I find a flat), they can’t insure me any longer and will cancel my policy in 7 days. So, now I have to find insurance for both bikes, oh joy…

Heh, well. I called my insurer trying to put his bike on my policy. While I was trying to sort that out, the insurer asked me to sort out my address issue first (I moved to a new address and informed them through email but didn't get the response yet). Apparently, since my new address is a hotel (where I'm temporary staying until I find a flat), they can't insure me any longer and will cancel my policy in 7 days. So, now I have to find insurance for both bikes, oh joy... Slacker
Damn that sucks, especially while trying to help a mate.

Could you not use a work address?

You should be able to arrange temporary insurance for yourself to ride his bike to the new location. When someone bought my CB500 it wasn’t insured, my insurance had expired a few days earlier so the buyer arranged temporary insurance before they came to look at it so they could ride it home if they bought it.

Where does he live? i have room in my garage now as my Blade isn’t in there and Toony has taken his SV, if you are close to Hornchurch then i’ll happily store it for you

Damn that sucks, especially while trying to help a mate.

Could you not use a work address?

nivag

My work address is my home address, heh.

You should be able to arrange temporary insurance for yourself to ride his bike to the new location. When someone bought my CB500 it wasn't insured, my insurance had expired a few days earlier so the buyer arranged temporary insurance before they came to look at it so they could ride it home if they bought it. Joby

Well, as it appears, I can’t get an insurance policy at all because a hotel is not considered a permanent address. Perhaps a different insurer does not have that restriction, though.

Where does he live? i have room in my garage now as my Blade isn't in there and Toony has taken his SV, if you are close to Hornchurch then i'll happily store it for you Marmablade

Thank you for your kind offer. He lives in hanger lane, though, so that’s the other end of London, but I will keep it in mind.

I’ve found this storage company Shurgard, they say they can store the bike no problem even without the insurance on it, they will simply apply their own insurance on all things stored in their units. And they have a warehouse in hanger lane, so that’s perfect.

The only problem now is to get the bike there. He has a van, so we can transport it with that, I suppose, but he doesn’t have anything to secure it inside the van. So, I don’t know, maybe I can stand inside the van holding the bike, or we can get a few mattresses to secure it in place. It would be only a 10 minute drive to the storage unit.

maybe I can stand inside the van holding the bike, or we can get a few mattresses to secure it in place. It would be only a 10 minute drive to the storage unit.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-ratchet-straps-with-s-hooks-5m-x-25mm-1-piece-set/33158?kpid=33158&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswx8L2Vg8CFnRn6tI9-VYrs96VuK9PiWV4QAB7JqPpJFxoC6yDw_wcB

They have a place near Hanger Lane.

yeah 2 ratcket straps should do nicely. wedge the front wheel into a corner, bump the back wheel sideways til it’s against an opposite wall. tie it down. 

We’ve rented out the storage unit, the one located less than 10min from his house. Only £30 for one month for 160 square feet, which I think is pretty good. So he’ll store his stuff and the bike there.

We’re gonna forgo all that insurance malarkey and go with the van, since it’s so close by.

Thanks for the help guys, all sorted.

Make sure no one sees you putting he bike in there

Make sure no one sees you putting he bike in there Wise
Aye, it is still London after all ;)

Big Yellow are talking a different insurance to that required by the Road Traffic Act,

They want it insured in case it gets damaged by or damages goods stored in adjacent storage lockers because motor vehicles are not covered by the insurance policy they’ll insist you buy from them. Hence all fluids need to be removed to minimise risk.

Check the whole package Big Yellow are offering, including the storage insurance, you’ll find far better deals out there especially when it comes to motorbike storage.

Might be worth storing your ‘stuff’ with Big Yellow and your bike at OMC

I was thinking that NT
I would have thought it would need to be s lability insurance not a road type insurance