Insurance Woes

I spend a couple of days, twice a year for my car and toy, making calls to dozens of insurance brokers and companies.  I also have a list of my incidents, claims, with the costs involved to hand.  I also declare my no claims bonuses, advanced riding/driving qualifications, and fully detail my security, and extras on the big.  Take special care to note what is covered, the excess, any voluntary excess that they load on without advising you, and protecting you no claims discount.

I had massive problems with MCE a few years ago.  They had extraordinarily high excess on each quotation, which they did not advise me of.  I found out by asking each time I called.  Every time I called, I got a different premium, different excess, and most of staff would give a different definition of “commuting” and “class 1 business use” when I asked.  I would never trust MCE.  I too have heard many complaints about their customer service when it comes to claims.

So Principal Insurance are very nice and wanted to beat/match the MCE quote for me. However, in order to send it to their underwriter they need the renewal quote in writing. I spoke to MCE and basically they don’t provide renewal quotes in writing- the consultants don’t even have email addresses to be able to email you with the number written on it. Carole Nash have the same policy, as do their partner company Just Motorcycle Insurance. Coincidentally, Carole Nash’s panel won’t insure me at all…

JMI quoted me £1009 from Aviva, but I still can’t get it in writing to give to Principal. I think I’m slowly losing my mind.

I must have been lucky… they took my word for me. Good shout on Principal by the way. Already about £100 cheaper than my current one

But going back to the original post… if you’ve declared it once, it stays with you… I’m still declaring three things from 2012 -2013 that needn’t have been declared as there was no claim by either party (all had either police attending, a potential claim by other party, or bus camera). 

So Principal Insurance are very nice and wanted to beat/match the MCE quote for me. However, in order to send it to their underwriter they need the renewal quote in writing. I spoke to MCE and basically they don't provide renewal quotes in writing- the consultants don't even have email addresses to be able to email you with the number written on it. Carole Nash have the same policy, as do their partner company Just Motorcycle Insurance. Coincidentally, Carole Nash's panel won't insure me at all...
JMI quoted me £1009 from Aviva, but I still can't get it in writing to give to Principal. I think I'm slowly losing my mind.
AlexT
Somewhat surprised - I seem to remember that new legislation recently brought in requires insurance companies to notify that renewal is upcoming, along with the premium amount for the last year (together with the renewal details).

Are you saying that MCE is not providing this to you at all? They should be doing it via post

So Principal Insurance are very nice and wanted to beat/match the MCE quote for me. However, in order to send it to their underwriter they need the renewal quote in writing. I spoke to MCE and basically they don't provide renewal quotes in writing- the consultants don't even have email addresses to be able to email you with the number written on it. Carole Nash have the same policy, as do their partner company Just Motorcycle Insurance. Coincidentally, Carole Nash's panel won't insure me at all... JMI quoted me £1009 from Aviva, but I still can't get it in writing to give to Principal. I think I'm slowly losing my mind. AlexT
Somewhat surprised - I seem to remember that new legislation recently brought in requires insurance companies to notify that renewal is upcoming, along with the premium amount for the last year (together with the renewal details).
Are you saying that MCE is not providing this to you at all? They should be doing it via post sn1ke

Mine (Lexham) claimed it must have been lost in the post… luckily I rang now and have found out when it expires cause they have an auto renewal if not cancelled 4 days before!

But when it comes to MCE - it all depends who you get on the end of the line… I’ve had the most useless to the most helpful. I even had one lady who told me that without personal injury I couldn’t claim just for repairs to my vehicle against a third party that wasn’t another vehicle (it was a farm depositing mud on the road)

Well after much shopping around and the best quote still being £1009 for TPFT I had an epiphany. Basically it struck me I was being penalised for the Theft aspect of the policy and that realistically if my £1500 bike gets nicked I probably wouldn’t claim anyway. As a result I asked for a 3rd Party only quote and MCE gave it to me for £476 with protected no claims, so to save a lot of messing around I took it. Just gotta avoid smashing into any other road users now!

I did the same on my old CB500. The premium plus the excess was greater than the value of the bike and therefore a waste of money. Even the agent said so. So I went for third party only and tried not to fall off.