Insurance and factory accessories - be careful what you spec

Top tip: don’t add accessories to your insurance policy.

Just spent a couple of hours sorting out insurance for the V2. I had added some official Ducati accessories to the V2 order that the dealer was going to fit. They were on back-order, so I said give me the bike and we’ll put them on at first service. I mentioned the accessories in the telephone call with my insurer when adjusting my multi-bike policy.

The broker was having problems adding the new bike. It came up needing referral. It didn’t look like it was going to happen. Many questions about the accessories, especially the DDA kit (track mode stuff), this lead to statements about the underwriter wanting to know about track use etc. A route I clearly thought was inconsequential and frustrating as we all know you’re not insured on the track with your road policy.

Did a quote on their website without the accessories - it comes up as I expect, no issues. So I won’t be fitting the accessories, the back order can be cancelled. Rang the broker back, told them this, they said, oh yes, no problem, that’s gone through now.

None of the accessories were performance enhancing, i.e. exhaust, suspension, brakes. Just ancillary stuff. Some was even protective in nature.

Jeez, so frustrating. Thought I wasn’t going to be able to pick the bike up!

I didn’t realise that simply changing your can counted as a modification and accessory. I discovered it by chance when talking to the insurance guy while renewing my policy.

Any modification or add ons will increase the insurance premium of any vehicle, especially in London, because in making your pride and joy more attractive to yourself you’re also making it more attractive to the thieves who are going to sell on the component parts.

I fessed up to my insurance company about the “extras” & straight away they said they wasn’t interested because it didn’t alter the performance of the bike,
cant wait to tell them its got decat headers & a remap

Ultimately anything being changed is a modification. Sometimes you may be able to claim ignorance but it won’t always work.
Example

1. brand new bike changed the exhaust
  2. older bike change exhaust

Difference is number 2 may say original exhaust needed to be changed due to wear and tear and I went for aftermarket as it was cheaper than original didn’t realise this was a modification.

Number 1 says, I changed it because it looks / sounds better or increases performance and they are in trouble straight away.

1 Like

Yep my new can didn’t change the premium either.

A few years ago I declare evening to see what difference it made.
Full performance system, big carb, different wheels plus the boring things like pannier rack.
MCE didn’t care, just said I’d get paid out for a stock replacement bike, other insurers it didn’t change by much, some I can’t do online though.

I suspect knowing you do track days triggers some alarm bells on how they’ve assessed your risk profile.

Ramesis wanted me to declare the pannier rack on my tracer, but it’s not included in any claim.