..... I'm sure it was a problem 5 minutes ago !!!??

Came in this morning like I was on an exam ride … calm, controlled and without motoGP tendencies. Was even polite to the Shell Petrol Station assistant who is NEVER polite to me!!  … Then it all went wrong.

Pulled up to traffic lights, into neutral … 10 seconds latter she stalled and delivered a white plum of smoke out of the right hand side …

Pushed her over to the side and had a good look. Oil level - okay. Leaks - none visible.

Ignition back on - temp good. No problem lights. Fired her up … purring like a cat. Okay, maybe just a once off thing. Jumped back on her and calmly set off down the road.

2 mins later at another set of lights. This time maintained 1st gear. - Stalled. No smoke. Was at 88degC 

Shit … thankfully retail car park up ahead. fired her back up and pulled in.

Again more checks … all looked okay. Called Wise … “possible throttle sensor going … see how it goes.”

Off down the road again. 2 mins later - lights. Neutral stalled. Strong smell of oil. Temp 90degC

Started her up again and “blapped it” (technical term) - large amounts of acceleration and ‘none crawl speeds’ - no idea why but seemed a good idea at the time.

Cured !!! No more stalls. No more smell of oil or puffs of white smoke. Ticks over 100% in neutral or 1st Gear with clutch in …

Weird …

1/2 of riding further and back to 100%. Ideas of why?? 

water somewhere maybe? I have no idea though just a finger in the air on that one

Maybe a bit of junk caught in an injector?

Bike ?

You put diesel in ?

zx10r Tim. 

I vote for temp sensor fault, coolant overflow from the expansion chamber on the right side hit the hot exhaust to make smoke. check your coolant level. 

zx10r Tim. 

I vote for temp sensor fault, coolant overflow from the expansion chamber on the right side hit the hot exhaust to make smoke. check your coolant level. 

me_groovy
Noted - but why (a) does it three times within say 10mins, (b) causes stalling at idle ..... and then (c) problem vanishes !!!!???

I was wondering, as I had filled up with UNLEADED (TimR) some 30 miles previously, whether there could have been shit in the fuel that caused the stalling … but still pondering the smoke/oily smell

zx10r Tim. 

me_groovy
Noted - but why (a) does it three times within say 10mins, (b) causes stalling at idle ..... and then (c) problem vanishes !!!!???

I was wondering, as I had filled up with UNLEADED (TimR) some 30 miles previously, whether there could have been shit in the fuel that caused the stalling … but still pondering the smoke/oily smell

IanWilliamson
maybe you disturbed the bottom of the tank, and some crap got into the fuel line - and you cleared it...

Oh well … this is now a watching brief … lets hope its all history. I will check the collant level however … even though she’s just had a service.

Cheers all for your thoughts

Warped/worn clutch plates? (Sounds odd, but sounds similar to my VFR)

Or the good old kawasaki side stand switch …

I’m glad (phew) to report that since the three incidents outlined above … there’s been no further stalling, puffs of white smoke or smell of oil.

HOWEVER I’ve notice on several occasions yesterday that while in 4th gear … either the indicator ‘blinks’ or changes between “3” and “4” … think that this is just a clogged up sensor though … I hope.