i was a naughty boy. caught doing 40 in a 30 along OKR. worried about the letter

Just done car and bike insurance and they asked about speed awareness courses.

I don’t know why but I seem to remember that there were about 3-4 police forces that would not follow that guidance when it came. The two I remember were London and N. Wales

Yeah it varies by police force - there is a table here but it contradicts itself somewhat.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=34

The ACPO recommended basic qualifying criteria are as follows:the speed of the driver / rider makes them eligible for a Speed Awareness Course (ie not greater than limit +10%+9mph).the driver / rider has NOT attended a Speed Awareness Course within the last 3 years,the driver / rider must agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the offer of the Speed Awareness Course (including timescales for completion - typically 4 months from date of alleged offence).

Some insurers are asking about speed awareness courses, but they are not convictions. Bit silly for the insurers as all the evidence is that tasking speed awareness makes people less likely to speed but points makes no difference to likelihood of getting more points. That is why the police and government like speed awareness and are looking at new similar courses for people who might otherwise be prosecuted for driving without care, which in practice doesn’t happen due to all the paperwork.

Note that just because an agent asks the question doesn’t mean most underwriters will use the info, but there may be some low risk policies that are only offered to people with no convictions and no speed awareness course and the agent needs to be able to offer the best policy.

No I’m not a copper. I did apply to join when I was younger but they rejected me when they found out about my mother and father.

Agreed they are not convictions.

Done by a camera? Or a stationary van? Policeman with a ray gun?

I believe you already have 3 points don’t you? So going up to 6 points you probably want to avoid.

Take the speed awareness course, if offered. You might learn something.

Take the course if its offered, its and interesting and informative day and saving 3 points will save you money on premiums in the future.

never even got offered the course when i got done for 39 in a 30 … id gladly of taken it for my own min and there’s, i got the 3 points and 60 find… but then was a few years back when did that come in?

[quote]
biker_dan (29/05/2013)

never even got offered the course when i got done for 39 in a 30 … id gladly of taken it for my own mind and there’s, i got the 3 points and 60 find… but then was a few years back when did that come in?

Posting twice will not make them take a retrospective view on your offence (s) :smiley:

Taking the course over points is a no brainer. And you’ll probably learn something, like why they pain SLOW on the road. Then when you do Bikesafe you can answer the speed related questions suspiciously knowledgably.

Oh and when they ask, “Why are you all here” be a swot and answer, “because we don’t want 3 points.”

Surely if they ask 'Why are you all here" you answer “Because I want to learn how to go faster”? :smiley:

didnt say what sort of camera

i have 3 points for overtaking stationary traffic down blackheath and going over the 2 solid white lines.

i have a car license so 12 points max

Official Nobber.:smiley:

The other question if you have 3 points, is when did you pass your test?

Good point. But remember it is the date of the first pass, not the bike test that counts. So if you have had a car licence for ten years it matters not that you have only had a bike licence for only one.

You are at a cross roads. The law abiding path of respecting the law, the police, law and order, being a good honest citizen who fully participates in all aspects of society for the greater good, or the one most of us took :smiley: