I seem to have broken my gearbox

http://www.londonmpr.co.uk/ Never used them, but seem to cover anywhere inside the M25… Website says £50 for a tyre repair… Hopefully someone else will have a recommendation.

50 seems very steep… essential rubber used to do it for 25 or 30 iirc

I assume that wasn’t mobile tyre repair?

£50 for a mobile tyre repair seems fair

ah whoops, missed that… yeah for mobile seems fair

Michael as a girly temporary puncture repair I know of a northern lass who’d sort that out with a couple of layers of tissue laced with nail glue!. Note too she was two up and not sparing the horses at silly mph on a 100 miler dash home.

nothing to see here, double post

Hey Michael,

If you weren’t in any great hurry, it might be worthwhile to just order a stop & go kit and do it yourself; the experience is good to get and you’d then have the kit for future punctures (plus may work out a bit cheaper, especially if the hole actually turns out to be a monster and you pay the 50 only to have the thing deflate again then pay for a new tyre and fitting). Note, there’s a big argument between the gummy worms or the mushrooms, but in the UK we have to use the mushroom-type ones for ‘permanent repairs’. As these don’t come with rubber cement, I normally try to smear some around the hole when stretching them. There’s a tonne of youtube vids on how to install the shrooms, just make sure you scrape the hole good! Also don’t lose the hole after you’ve taken that thing out :p

I’d wager money that that’s not a stone but a deceptive nail!

I would make that my third choice, NT, but I do not have any nail glue. I have polish and remover, who does not, just not glue.

Saying that, I do have a pot of super glue in the kit I put together using an old hairdryer bag, but with the bike having literally no storage space that stays at home where it is of absolutely no use.

AAANNNDDD just to add, the aforementioned repairs only work with tubeless tyres. If the bike uses inner tubes, you’ll need to take the tyre off and repair/replace the inner tube and clear the sharpie

It is tubeless, and I think you are describing the kit I have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOP-N-GO-TYRE-PLUGGER-KIT-POCKET-OPTION-VARIANT-/400992917632 (although bought elsewhere.)  I bought one to put together my repair kit as that type and brand seemed to be the most recommended  on forums.  Maybe I need to add some rubber cement to the kit too though.

I was actually looking forward to having a go at fixing it myself, as you say good experience too, but the yellow card says it is an “emergency repair” and not to use “more than 100 miles at no greater than 50mph” which is what made me ask instead.  Not that it goes much faster than that anyway, I have only managed to reach 60mph a couple of times.  But a stable tyre is not something to take uneccessary risks with unless others think plugging it is safe to rely on.

I suppose there could have been something lodged in the tyre which the stone just pushed in further.  As the bike is not going anywhere until it is repaired I might as well take the stone out tomorrow, would be helpful to see what the actual damage looks like anyway.

I wouldn’t rely on those fixes for long term use or start adding cement. try it to get you to a place to have it fixed properly or try it and if you mess it up call a mobile repair person :smiley:

That stone is only ⅜" long to a point yet I somehow got it right on the sharp end.  Nothing to suggest anything else was an initial cause.

Serrisan, after Abzero’s comment that it might make it irreparable I am hesitant to potentially make it worse.  Obviously if stranded and needs must, but parked outside my back door I can just leave it to an expert.

Cannot add forgotten photos when you edit, so…

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

That stone is only ⅜" long to a point yet I somehow got it right on the sharp end.  Nothing to suggest anything else was an initial cause.

Serrisan, after Abzero’s comment that it might make it irreparable I am hesitant to potentially make it worse.  Obviously if stranded and needs must, but parked outside my back door I can just leave it to an expert.

Michael
Take it from me though, if that stone goes, and the hole is the entire width of it, you'd be glad that you took it out on the driveway, rather when doing 50mph! Not sure how you taking it out would change anything? A pair of pliers, just pull it out. 

I had a large puncture (bit bigger than that) on my first bike (600) at about 75mph on the A40. I had only done 100miles on it, at most, and was only luck that I didn’t lose it. 

That’s some vicious stone! :O

Yes, it is a 125, has done just over 6,000 miles and as seen still has plenty of tread.  I have not removed the stone (thought it best to not mess with it until ready to sort it out) but I could not see any other obvious sources, so dabbed a bit of soap around it to check and it was creating air bubbles.

As the mushroom plugs are just rubber I assumed it was just pressure that kept them in place, so would not do any damage other than when reaming the hole to clean and fit them.  But it sounds like it is best left to a professional so I will not do anything to risk making it worse.

Sadly I am a bit too far outside Rubber Ranch’s area, so does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere similar who covers Streatham?

Thanks.

Michael
Not used them myself, but I've heard good things about these guys & they're in Streatham - Sunnyhill Road  http://motorcycle-surgery.co.uk/

Their website says they fix punctures. If the tyre isn’t losing air too quickly, maybe you’ll be able to pump it up & get there before it goes too flat?