I seem to have broken my gearbox

Well, I am either useless, cursed, being sent signs, or a combination of those, and it was all going so well last summer.

This morning I got to stop for yet another nice lie down.  Small consolation is that it was mostly not my fault this time, was pulling over on some rough ground but it seems my rear tyre was a bit flat (it was fine when I set off) which I am sure was the cause.

Having discovered the puncture I can have a go at fixing that myself, I have one of those mushroom repair kits, but after much trying I finally managed to properly break the bike as it will not go into second gear.  It goes into neutral but above that it feels like there is nowhere else to go.

I am guessing that is not going to be an easy fix?  And as I will need someone to come to me to look at it, any recommendations?

(And at what point does determination become stupidity?)

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

Sorry to hear this. Regarding the gear box is there any damage to the gear lever when you dropped the bike?

Thanks.  The lever looks and feels fine, but as with the other two times I ended up falling to the right.

Is the clutch on the right side on your bike?

Does it go into gear with engine not running ?

Clutch is on the left, I thought they all were these days?

But the clutch did not feel any different, biting at the same point.  And the gear shifts between first and neutral with it in regardless of the engine running.

When in neutral, if I lift the lever all the way the indicator light goes when it reaches the top, but nothing physically happens so it just comes back on as soon as I release it.  Physically it feels the same as trying to go up when in top gear.

ah what i mean is not the lever but the other end… on my cbf125 its on the right hand side. But sounds like it that wasn’t damaged. Out of interest are you trying to shift stationary or on the road?

Check the gear lever travel that nothing is impeding it … if the pinch bolt has loosened and the lever has slipped round on its splines or the pinch bolt itself may be the cause if its loosened at protruding and catching on the casing …

If you get stuck drop me a message, BigD will pick it up and haul it to my workshop for investigation :wink:

Numerous times I’ve had what I thought were gearbox issues (pretty much the exact experience you describe - try to shift up, N light goes off but comes on as soon as you take off pressure), but each time have turned out to be the gear shifter. Just to make sure it’s not somehow that, loosen each part leading up to it then retighten. Also make sure the shifter is not being blocked at the top of the movement

Where are you located Michael? Alot of places will offer a pickup/deliver service. in regard to your last comment, which i’m assuming had the logic conclusion of should I give up riding; def not! If your concerned then you could ask a motocycle school for a short lession/assement they might be able to help you with how you’re handling the bike.

Thanks all, going into neutral does feel  like it is a full click up rather than half of one, so those suggestions make a lot of sense.  I will take a look tomorrow to make sure everything is tight and looks to be where it should be.  If not scorch can be the backup plan!

Sorry Abzero, I see what you mean now, the actual clutch as in the plates, yes that is on the right.

As to the last comment, I am not sure how serious I am but it does somewhat feel that way.  I had an assessment of sorts a few weeks ago though as I had to renew my CBT and my handling was fine, albeit on a different bike.  My problem since the original accident is a subconscious lack of confidence on bends, I know what I can and should do yet somehow still end up going too slow and moving to the inside of them.

Overcoming that just feels really slow going, especially as it mainly needs Sunday mornings when the roads are quiet, because impatient drivers do scary things, if the weather is fine.  I know I could do it before so just need to keep at it, but it is not helped by hitting black ice on a not particularly cold day, and now getting a puncture.  Kind-of getting bored of lying on the road and feeling a bit sore, and at some point that will overtake the joy I used to feel of being lost then discovering I am in East Grinstead.  It is always East Grinstead.

And now I need a new coat too.

You all are the best!

My foot is very sore this morning so unable to properly work on the bike, or do about anything, but I had a look at the lever and you were right.  It seemed to be touching the case and the top of its movement, so I just removed and replaced the it and that seems to have fixed it.  I think the bolt slipped beyond the groove on the shaft, forcing the lever inwards enough to prevent it from clearing the case.

Thanks.

Glad you found the issue :) 

basic fault finding lesson 1 … look at the most simplest reason first 

that old trick strikes again :wink:

Sadly even simple solutions are not obvious when you have no sort of prior experience to guide you.  Learning as I go though, and so on that, what do I do about my tyre?

As I said I already had a mushroom plugging kit, but looking at the instructions is says it is only meant as a temporary fix until it can be permanently repaired.  Presumably that means done by a professional, but maybe they are simply covering themselves legally.  Searching for advuce though only seems to give the usual argument between those who will not risk their lives so buy new tyres every time, and those who have use plugged tyres permanently and never had any problems.

As per the photo above it is a small stone (around ¼") in the middle of the rear tyre so should be repairable. Is it a safe idea to fix it myself and see how it goes or should I just leave it to an expert?

just a stone? and that’s gone through the tread? Anyway I though using the temp fix means that you can’t then plug it professionally. Where as a pro can do a more lasting fix. When my rear tyre went, I used http://www.rubber-ranch.co.uk/ the diff between a new tyre and the patch wasn’t that big, and in the end the patch couldn’t be done due to where it was.

I’d leave it to an expert, then you’ll get a lasting repair (hopefully).

It’s bang in the middle so it can be plugged… in my view only worth it if you still have life in the tyre…

A professional plug (from the inside) will see you through to end of life of tyre. Prob not advisable if you’re ragging it on a track but it’s a 125, right?

Have you removed that stone? Is air coming out. Doesn’t look like that would have gone through but then again, you won’t know till you take it out

Yes, it is a 125, has done just over 6,000 miles and as seen still has plenty of tread.  I have not removed the stone (thought it best to not mess with it until ready to sort it out) but I could not see any other obvious sources, so dabbed a bit of soap around it to check and it was creating air bubbles.

As the mushroom plugs are just rubber I assumed it was just pressure that kept them in place, so would not do any damage other than when reaming the hole to clean and fit them.  But it sounds like it is best left to a professional so I will not do anything to risk making it worse.

Sadly I am a bit too far outside Rubber Ranch’s area, so does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere similar who covers Streatham?

Thanks.