I miss the mountains

How much did that cost you @Jay?

For two people, two bikes the breakdown two years ago was this:

Items booked Price
Return Journey Bike Shuttle Bays/Bike Spaces (2) £890.00
Return Journey Northampton Depot To/From Airport Transfer (2 seats) £90.00
Outbound Geneva Hotel 1 Double Rooms (21/06/2018 to 22/06/2018 - 1 nights) £96.00
Outbound Geneva Airport To Hotel Transfer (2 seats) £0.00
Inbound Geneva Hotel 1 Double Rooms (28/06/2018 to 29/06/2018 - 1 nights) £96.00
Inbound Geneva Hotel To Airport Transfer (2 seats) £0.00

So £1172 all in from them. Presumably £586 each. Pretty good value for such an awesome service when you consider what you would pay anyhow in channel crossing, fuels, tolls, hotels, food and squaring off your tyres as you destroy those boring motorway miles getting to the nice roads.

Flights on top were £242 for two people with EasyJet, probably with loads of addons because I like comfort/convenience :slight_smile: So maybe £707 each in total.

Just noticed… probably a tad more as a hotel room for one person won’t be much, if any cheaper. I think you can opt to bunk in with other people as well though to lower the price, so who knows, or you could be with friends and share!

2 Likes

Honestly though, I wouldn’t even bother trying to compare it on a cost basis compared to riding it, there’s no comparison IMO when you consider the experience. Riding northern France to get to the nice roads is just plain boring at best and pure misery at worst in rain/cold. I think BikeShuttle have it spot-on.

If it was just down to cost I’d load up a bunch of audio books and buy a new pair of tyres on arrival for that much.

1 Like

Yeah very true. I’ve done it the hard way and the easy way (ferry from Bilbao) and the easy way is def preferable, albeit more expensive. I did kind of enjoy the slog on the motorway, the pain before the pleasure. It felt like a right of passage but probably wouldn’t do it again. If you have bad weather it sucks pretty bad too.

Another way I’ve done it is ride to Paris and put your bike on a train there. Then get another train south and pick your bike up in Toulouse the next morning. That works out a bit cheaper but it’s a bit of a concern getting on a different train to your bike!

1 Like

The cost gets better if you have two people on one bike. Certainly seems a restful way of getting to the Alps but not necessarily quicker. Two occasions at least I’ve driven with the family from home (early start), channel tunnel to Calais then on to Chamonix all in a day, more tiring on a bike but possible.

Possible, but not fun :slight_smile:

Our rationale was we have limited time available for road-trips due to work commitments so want to make the most of them by maximising time on the amazing roads, plus the joy factor of no drudgery.

@Kevsta
Looking at the dates of your pics…2018 - 10 October?
Weather looks fab in the pics, was it ok that time of year?

Sounds like a great time to go for me, schools back, weather getting crap at home, sunny in Spain :slight_smile:

Yep. We got really lucky with the weather it had snowed the previous week but all the passes were open and it was 20 degrees every day only had half a day of rain. In fact coming back through France it hit 30.

His latest video. Oh man, what a road!

Ahhh love Scaffs vids, he can ride for sure!

Hawww. Where is this road in Austria??

Awesome.

Google Maps link in the description on his YouTube page. That was my first thought too, but having looked, it is an awful long way away.

Thanks Jay. Biking paradise !