I can't fill my fuel tank to the top!??

Didn’t you end up with a load of petrol on your nob when you did this once? :slight_smile:

the filler neck is there to prevent fuel slop, when the fuel is slopping around in the tank as you lean side to side there is a chance that the fuel will leak out if the seal is not great on the filler cap

There is also a small breather at the top to allow for fuel flow by gravity and prevent a vacume with fuel injected bikes.

Sorted!

Managed to punch a hole in the top of the filler pipe that allows the air to escape - Cheers trackday junkie!

Should give me a couple more litres, although I’ll take care not to over fill avoiding fuel slop

Thanks to all for the help :slight_smile:

let me know how it worked out after your touring next week :slight_smile:

Sometimes I cant get my shoe on properly:ermm: any advice?

Fack me I’m getting such a grilling for this one!! :w00t:

Read my comments it’s more than the obvious ‘lift the nozzle a bit’ solution!!!

Herr Schmidt I’ll report back in a couple of weeks! :slight_smile:

PMSL :smiley:

Affluent bast*rd. You can afford to fill your fuel tank?

Is it the right or left one. :slight_smile: have you tried using a shoe horn. :slight_smile:

wear flip flops :smiley:

Once the fuel level reaches the brim, burn off the excess with a Zippo.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris I’ll try that

Dare I say this but I was actually thinking earlier ‘Oh I could burn a hole into the top of the filler pipe, that way I don’t have to drill it and risk shards falling into the tank…’

Clown

was this for LB Agony Aunt ?

this thread makes me happy :smiley:

There is a broken off drill bit in my BMW’s petrol tank. I dont think it minds :slight_smile:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one lifting the nozzle to the brim when pumping petrol!

(also, that’s what she said, or he rather)

I dropped an allen bolt into my petrol tank once, and subsequently dropped the allen key in too because I wasn’t paying attention/was fretting about the allen bolt :laugh: :cool:

Buy one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2lb-Magnetic-Pick-up-Tool-Telescopic-Magnet-Extendable-/130577257589?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6702d475

And then you get to play an adult version of this game

That s a top tip that is. What if your petrol tank is magnetic as well? Is it possible to pick up the other magnetic thing or does the magnet just stick itself to the tank so you cannot drag it around onto the magnetic thing you are trying to pick up? And if you drop the magnet into the tank as well, you need a stronger magnet to get hold of the magnet … this could be awful.

The magnet isn’t strong enough to turn the tank inside out … so once you start to pull, it’ll detatch itself from the tank. It takes a bit of ferreting/farting about - but incredibly satisfying when you do finally catch it.

Very manly version of fishing when a highly flammable liquid is your medium :cool:

Hey thanks for the shoe advice, Mark I didnt realise the left & right were different so that has helped a lot also if I hover my foot over the shoe opening beffore I put my foot in it seems to go on easier…