How often do you mess up?

I’m new to bikes in general, so perhaps can be forgiven, but something small always tends to happen everytime I take the bike out.

Tonight it was the usual horn instead of indicator, followed by not being able to get the bike into gear at the traffic lights so faffing about for longer than I’d like :slight_smile:

I do hope I’ll get better :smiley:

That’ll all iron out in time …

Took me a while to get the hang of this new idea of left footed gear lever, if your keeping the rubber on the tarmac your doing fine.

yeah give it time

Learning physical movements is all about getting new synaptic patterns wired up in the brain and this can take a few weeks of constant practice, but once learnt, they tend to stay with you for life.

I had a very odd experience with this, many years ago I suffered with a rare form of paralysis that came on over a few months and then took many years to finally leave me in full fitness, at it’s worst my legs were completely paralysed and my arms were very weak, I had to relearn walking as each nerve group was affected and then recovered.

Yet after a few years I got a shot on a bike, because I had not been riding at any time of my illness, I got on the bike and rode it like I had never been off of them. I didn’t have to re-learn as the pathways of the brain that do gear changes had not been affected in the same way as my walking.

Bob

When I was doing my DAS I was regularly called Billy Big Thumbs for hitting the horn when i was trying to cancel my indicators, i also found it difficult remembering what limb does what and had to concentrate of every movement so I’d miss a gear or similar at junctions.

Once you get used to it, it all becomes natural :slight_smile:

To be honest, I could forgive you for missing your indicator button.

Just try to keep that little fella on your shoulder. You know, the one that when you say to yourself, yeah, I’ll make it through that gap, past that lorry. He says, wait, be patient and wait.

Messing up is when you defy what you’ve been taught and pay the price.

:slight_smile: Amen to that

I pretty much never stall or miss buttons now but sometimes I do ignore that little fella and only realise afterwards what I knob I was. Especially in town, you take a risk just to be sat at a red light for slightly longer, not worth it.

I just wish everyone would make up their minds if its indicator above or below horn button . Its a right pain when you have more than one bike and they are different :crazy:

I still hit the horn once in a while, even more shocking now I’ve got a Stebal Magnum fitted :w00t:

I have never messed up! I am a motorcycle god! I am Rossi personified! I may even be the reincarnation of Barry Sheen! :satisfied: :w00t: :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note, it’s how you learn. And as long as you do learn when you make little mistakes, the big mistakes should be kept pretty much at bay… :wink:

Yup still happens especially when I go back to either bike after using the other for a prolonged period of time :smiley:

Well in my first 2 years I had some good ones…ran out of fuel and had to push the bike to the petrol station, (didn’t know what the fuel tap was for), dropped it while parking, hit the ignition instead of the horn once, came off (which was totally avoidable with the benefit of hindsight), set off to Holland at 9pm and didn’t get to my parents house till 5am UK time the following day because it rained all night so I couldn’t go fast(could have checked the weather forecast before setting off) and the grand finale, blew up the engine because it had run dry of oil. All good experience I guess. And I used to get lost on rideouts a lot.

With regards to finding gears at the lights if it won’t go into first let the clutch out and then pull it in again and it’ll engage. It’s just something that bikes do for some reason. Also if it won’t go into neutral let the clutch out so that the bike creeps forwards and then try again and you’ll find neutral.

So that where Mr J picked up that one from! :smiley:

The ‘muscle-memory’ will form in time, doesn’t take long. Best advice, as above, would be to ride defensively and not to push things to far too quickly. Consider doing a Met Police Bike Safe day when you’re a bit more confident.

I had a longish lay off from owning a bike. Decided it was too long to go back on the road without some refresher training so I bought some time with an instructor doing DAS training. He told me I was wasting my money and his time after about an hour. Everything just clicked back into place. Sort of.

So, after 7 years back on regular biking, how often do I mess up. Embarrassingly often. And it’s always the blasted switches. Or the gearbox baulking. Or…

The worst that can happen is you briefly look a bit of a twit. Beats being over confident every time.

True about the horn, my scooter and my motorbike have them in different positions :\

I been riding for years and I still mess up…It’s like road runner said, it’s a part of learning. I wouldn’t worry to much over it…there are always bigger fish to fry :w00t: