How do you choose your helmet?

I’ve always gotten helmets that are SNELL rated. DOT Is shit, and I have always wanted to make sure that my head is properly protected. Is there any other rating scheme that some prefer? I know that some helmet manufacturers don’t go for the SNELL rating because they don’t agree with their practices (or so I’ve been told). But perhaps that’s changed in the last few years. 

Anyways, what do you prefer and how do you set your criteria? 

I’ve never understood the testing regimes enough to make any decisions based on which of them are passed by how much.

I generally go for one from a brand I recognise that fits well and has got the features I want. My current one’s a pretty low-end Bell that’s proved more comfy and less prone to falling apart than the series of Schuberths I had before.

I just get a brand I recognise, in a colour I like, at a price I’m willing to pay that feels comfortable when I put it on my head.

Brand, size, price, colour.  What fits at what I can afford with PINLOCK!

Fit & Finish 

Brands I know, how well they fit, how they look, additional features such as pinlock

Occasionally I will filter out ‘ugly ones’ first.

AS BRS said, testing criteria is way beyond my knowledge…

Oh wow you guys are pretty rock n roll

I've never understood the testing regimes enough to make any decisions based on which of them are passed by how much.
I generally go for one from a brand I recognise that fits well and has got the features I want. My current one's a pretty low-end Bell that's proved more comfy and less prone to falling apart than the series of Schuberths I had before.
Big Red S
hehe that made me chuckle! I'm so childish

I’ve always purchased hands on in a shop because its all about fit and comfort regardless of branding, price or cosmetic finish, if the cap fits…

Note all helmets sold in the EU have to meet the ECE 22.05 helmet standards. I don’t fully understand what that means but I do understand it will mean the helmet is fit for purpose.

Note all helmets sold in the EU have to meet the ECE 22.05 helmet standards. I don't fully understand what that means but I do understand it will mean the helmet is fit for purpose.
National Treasure
It replaces the old BS6658-85 standard and was the standard that has to be met under self accreditation.

The helmets are still sent for testing to ensure that they comply with the specification and standard laid down by the manufacturers, and helmets can be tested randomly, but in short it applies to the self accreditation under the European standards.

when I replaced both mine and the Mrs’s helmet 12 months ago there was one thing in particular that I wanted, a flip fron helmet that i could use with the  front lifted as I ride if I wanted to. They also have a sun visor that flips down when needed, and a pin lock. bought one each and vary happy with them.

I’ve bought Arai for about 20yrs. 77 crashes (I race) and on,y one concussion, it’d take a lot to get me to switch.

Comfortable fit.  Fully removable lining.  Good vision.  Pinlock visor.  Light, 1300g or less.  All of those are essential for me.  Then I go for style/colour from a well known brand.

Fit, colour, price, brand.

Oh wow you guys are pretty rock n roll
ExcelsiorHenderson5
No, they're not. At all.

I’ve bought Arai for about 20yrs. 77 crashes (I race) and on,y one concussion, it’d take a lot to get me to switch. benedictireland
if it works why try to reinvent the wheel 

Maybe if he’d tried a different helmet he might not crash as much :wink:

oh snap

My purchases have always been based look, feel, quality and fit…and whether I am prepared to pay the asking price.  Don’t care much for government funded tests;  if it’s good enough for the track then it should be good enough for me;  simples.  :slight_smile:

Primary consideration is overall fit & whether I can still manage to take it off whilst the strap is properly done up. So far only Shuberths & the Caberg Duke have passed the latter test…