Hot Singles

Great info again, thanks!

I agree its disappointing when you get mixed messages from an organisation. Maybe I’m being too soft on them but to be fair they did make some adjustment and they are now going to send it back to Yamaha to try to find the fault. As I said I’ve been out on it this weekend (I only did about 50 miles) and it’s cut out twice- not when stuck in traffic but out on the open road. First time accelerating, as I pull the clutch to change up the engine stops, keep clutch in (!) hit the start button and it fires straight away and carry on. Not ideal. Second time same but coming down windy hill 50mph in fourth off the gas, clutch in to drop to third- cuts out! yep half way round the bend…lose a bit of traction…try not to panic or run wide and repeat procedure above and carry on…very not ideal! This has to be sorted. :cool:

I think you’re doing it right.

Never found the “in your face” attitude achieved much except retaliation so I’m a keep worrying the problem man. Sooner or later they will take things seriously when they realise you aint going away.

Keep going, keep checking the forums, keep good records, keep polite but firm just in case you have to go to the small claims court.

:slight_smile:

I think you’re doing well keeping your cool. I’m sure that way you’ll get the furthest. I’m not sure I would be able to if I’d spend very good money buying a brand new bike from a shop and then they’d tell me afterwards that “it’s normal” the engine cuts out, “they all overheat” in traffic etc. If that was true, why would they sell such a bike?

Anyway, good luck! I’m sure it’ll get sorted at the end. These are cracking engines. Have a browse on the XT660 forum, you’ll see, even though there’s some niggles, once they’re sorted, the engine is bullet proof apparently, and people love them. Some people traveled through Africa on these bikes without any modifications (except from luggage racks and bigger fuel tanks) and no problems.

Thanks for the support guys.

:frowning: So had the call today from Infinity to say the bikes coming back from Yamaha today and that they could find nothing wrong with it and couldn’t replicate the problems. Spoke to Customer Services and they confirmed.

It looks as though my next port of call will have to be an independent to check the possibilities raised on this thread. I’m pretty depressed about the whole thing. I have been asking myself if there’s something wrong with the way I ride it (after all I am still a newish rider) but I honestly don’t think there is. I mean, the cutting out happens randomly and in different circumstances and it was fine for the first few months- so how could it be?

Oh well at least I get my bike back and much as I like the FZ6 it’s no way near as much fun as the MT (when it’s working properly:()

That really sucks! Sound very similar to the story of one of the guys on the XT forum and the problems he had with an 07 XT660 being pretty much undrivable. He had it on a dyno and it was confirmed it was way way too lean (hence cutting out etc). Even with the Dyno print, Yamaha said there was nothing wrong (in fact, they were trying to say the dyno print was fake and the shop was trying to sell a Power Commander). I think he’s trying to take it further, but not sure what his plan is.

Sounds like it’s really knocking your confidence too. If it helps, you’re more than welcome to take my bike out for a spin (just leave the keys to yours with me ;)). It’s a different bike, but it being the same engine, it should give you an idea of how the engine should run and you’ll be able to compare.

Like you said, it may be worth having it checked by a different independend mechanic. Maybe try to get a report and contact trading standards. No idea what the law says, but if an independed mechanic put their name on a report saying the bike is no good, hopefully they’d take some notice.

Picked up the MT-03 this evening. Despite everything I’m glad to get it back. Having jumped straight off the borrowed FZ6 the MT is noisy, lumpy and very torquey…luverllley:D. No sign of cutting out on the way home so who knows maybe something has been fettled- I live in hope?

My plan now is to keep riding (of course) and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does I’ll take it to an independent mechanic to check temperatures, valve clearances etc. and take it from there.

In the meantime- Dresie, oldguy- how about a ride out sometime for minarelli engined single cylinders? Sod’s law if I’m riding in a group it probably won’t cut out all day…but if it does I’ll have some witnesses:)

Sounds like a plan. I’ll PM you my mobile, if you fancy a rideout in the weekends or after work during the week, give me a text and if I’m around I’ll be up for it.

If you guys are getting a Minarelli singles run together, keep me in the loop.

Hi there, just to let you know that I have the cut out problem on my 3 week old MT-03. Doesn’t happen as often as yours and of course the weather isn’t what it was in terms of heat. I’ve found it quite dangerous when it cuts out whilst at the front of a queue of cars as the lights turn green…or in the middle of a busy roundabout. Was going mention it when it goes in for it’s first service. Have you managed to sort out the issues you had?

Apart from this I find it to be a great first big bike although I just dropped it on my way home tonight after hitting some snow.

Any idea where I can get new handlebars sharpish?!

Dan

Hi danstable ,

That’s a left field seeing this thread re appear. A bit worrying if you’re having the same problems with an MT 03 some ? months after lessismore. And it’s only 3 weeks old.

Do what L did. start firmly but quietly complaining to the supplier. First there is a build batch that had a throttle position sensor **** up. These should all have been fixed by dealers on a technical bulletin issue. Has that been done?

Check with the manufacturers about the frame/engine numbers for that build batch. (They are obliged to disclose)

PM lessismore for more detail if you need that. He’s o.k. and will be glad to help a fellow MT rider I’m sure. He got his fairly well fixed and should have fitted his Akropovics by now that should get rid of the last of the problems.

My Aprilia Pegaso Trail problem was not as bad. Just an enormous gaping hole in the power band around the 3,000 rpm mark. Got most of that sorted with a software upgrade (from the Pegaso Factory,under warranty), a K&N filter and a pair of Arrows cans. Still a lot of money I should not have needed to spend.

Driesie bought fully sorted, second hand, XT660 and has had no problems. Damn!

There is a problem with this engine and it’s a build problem in the Minarelli factory or a spec. problem from the bike manufacturers. That’s a pity as it’s a great engine and is in a lot of pretty good bikes.

As I said, stay quietly but firmly on top of this with the suppliers and keep good records of when, where and what. They are the one obliged to sort the problem and if they don’t, there is the Small Claims Court. Hence the record keeping.

Thought this was going to be a dating thread, not wishing to waste the opportunity, are there any hot chicks out there wishing to compromise a guy who is already involved in a hot one on one relationship. I ride a Triumph Daytona so you may have guessed I`m into “triples”:DIs there anyone out there? Girls, boys or canines, I am an equal opportunities type of guy.:w00t::w00t:

Couldn’t understand how you missed Nina’s similar post for a moment.

Then I remembered that was on a Spaniel forum. The bitch is way ahead of you, and much less picky.

What is the spanniel forum web address?

Mine still cuts out on overrun every now and then (even though it has a PC3 and the works, the PC3 only takes over after 2000 revs or something). It doesn’t happen very often and I learned to live with it (I can almost feel when it is about to happen and blip the throttle). Some people up the idle speed a bit, but I won’t bother.
But there definitly was a dodgy batch of TPS and ECUs (for the XT anyway), so like Oldguy has said, check with your dealer or Yamaha UK, they are pretty helpful. Mine apparently had its TPS and ECU changed under warantee.

Many still believe the Yamaha ECUs on these engines aren’t much good. From what I read on the XT forums, the new Tenere (XT660Z) has a completely new ECU units and people who have ridden both bikes say they can’t believe it’s the same engine.
It’s a bit shame they got something like wrong, but yes, it’s a great little engine and so much fun. And yes, first thing on your shopping list should be some nice cans :smiley: Preferably baffle out :stuck_out_tongue: And while you’re at it, have K&N fitted and it’s probably worth having a PC3 to sort out the fueling.

As for handlebars, I replaced my Yamaha ones with Renthals. The Renthals were cheaper than Yamaha OEM and much nicer I thought.
They had to order them in (turned up next day) because they’re a bit wider than standard dirt bike ones, and I liked them like that. I suspect any local shop will be able to get you some.

I ran my xt660x for over 25000 mile`s ,there was a recall a couple of years back to replace the TPS,might be worth investigating this with your yamaha dealer,as to the cutting out ,the fuel injection on these bikes are very basic and even after fitting carbon cans K&N FILTER with a custom dyno map ,mine still cut out and surged on low throttle openings ,the trick i found was not to blip the throttle at low openings .I had some great riding experience on the XTX and had no other problems apart from some dodgy finishing,but if you keep on top of cleaning in this weather it will be ok, hope this is of some help.mick

Attachments

xtx-re-vamp-007-Small--8589677773566958308.jpg

Hi Danstable & welcome to forum. Sorry you dropped it- first few days are the most tricky. It’s not a bike that’s easy to drop (unless it’s snowing!) so stick with it.

Oldguy and Dries have covered it really. Yes, it does still cut out occasionally but like Dries I have learnt to ride round it. The problem is definitely worse in the summer when things really heat up.

Good luck and BTW you may be the only other MT-03 owner on this forum so well done for joining the exclusive club. Great commuting and fun bike IMO and generally underrated. :slight_smile:

2 MT 03 riders on the forum? How common.

I think that leaves Driesie and I as the only exclusives.

Oh. I think I’ll give the Box Hill run on Sunday a miss. Still got no details but I have looked at the forecast. It might be character building, but mine is fully formed, thankyou.

*Couldn’t understand how you missed Nina’s similar post for a moment.

Then I remembered that was on a Spaniel forum. The bitch is way ahead of you, and much less picky.*

What is the spanniel forum web address?

Sorry. I’m sworn to secrecy on that.