Hopkins rides for Crescent in BSB

MotoGP ace Hopkins set to storm BSB Former MotoGP star John Hopkins will make his debut in the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship this season after sensationally signing for the Crescent Racing team in a bid to become the first rider from the USA to secure the title.

Hopkins has been a MotoGP podium finisher and already has a history with Crescent having ridden for the Rizla Suzuki team in MotoGP where he celebrated success. In 2007 he took the team to an impressive four podium finishes on his way to securing fourth place in the world’s premier motorcycle category whilst battling with the likes of Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner.

In 2009 Hopkins joined the World Superbike Championship with Stiggy Honda, but was sidelined through injury but ended last season on a high with podium finishes in the American Superbike Championship and is now ready to make his mark on BSB.

Talking to the BSB website Hopkins said: "I am really looking forward to BSB and working with Crescent again, it will obviously be a different crew but I know they are a great group of guys and that will be a good foundation to start the season. It is going to be a huge challenge for me, I know there are new tracks to learn, but I am not too concerned, I have to say with a passion for motocross I am definitely looking forward to Cadwell Park! I have seen the racing and photos from there and I can’t wait to have a go myself.

"I have seen BSB races before and I know that there is some tough competition there, so I am excited to get started - especially as I haven’t raced most of the other riders before. It is pretty much a level playing field in terms of the riders and their experiences, but that always makes for the best racing. Everyone says how close BSB is and I know that it will be the same this season, but I know I am joining one of the top teams and we will have been testing ready for the start of the championship.

"I have been unlucky with injury in past seasons - that comes with the territory but I can honestly say that I am fitter than I have ever been before, both mentally and physically. I know I had a reputation in the past, but it has all changed and my focus is on racing and I am really enjoying it. I wouldn’t be coming to BSB if I didn’t think I could be successful and I think it will be a better stepping stone for my future. The team had a great season last year and I am confident in them and the bike that we will be up there where we need to be. My style really suits the Suzuki and I am looking forward to riding the full-blown Superbike again, as in the U.S series the bikes are more restricted.

“I have been told that no rider from the U.S has ever won a BSB race and it would definitely be nice to change that and make history at the same time for sure. Physically and mentally I am fit and ready to roll with a great bike and a great crew behind me. I want to be up there from the get go, I know there will expectations of me from fans and critics but at the end of the day I want to get the maximum from both myself, the team and the bike to get results this year.”

BSB Series Director Stuart Higgs concluded: “Back in the 70s and 80s riders from the United States regularly graced the English circuits; legends such as Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola and Freddie Spencer, so it is fantastic for BSB to restart that tradition. I’m sure John’s arrival will be nothing short of spectacular.”

Courtesy Britishsuperbikes.com