Holidays!

wtf? Are you going to fit any work into your busy holiday schedule this year?

Egypt…well the pyramids are worth visiting at least for a day, then go off to one of the sea resorts and have fun. My sister taught diving in Dahab for a while, let me know if diving’s your thing and you need some contacts there.

Our main summer holiday plans this year are a drive through Europe. The kids are with my wife’s mother in Poland for the first few weeks of the summer, then we are going to drive over there, pick them up and head roughly south and west for a bit, staying in random hotels on the way and going where we fancy. We have one week booked on the Adriatic coast, which is the only real fixed point, and we plan to do a few days of glacial skiing in Switzerland. We will get down at least as far as Barcelona - depending on how things go, we might head down to Gibraltar and take a ferry over to Africa (I have a hankering to drive the Landrover in the desert :-)). Finish will be a three day ferry from Bilbao back to the UK (mainly because it costs about as much as the damn French motorways anyway).

I’m currently thinking of getting a small trail bike that I can attach to a rack on the back of the Landrover - with the excuse of “to run local errands while we’re staying somewhere for a couple of days”…

-simon

If you’re heading towards gibraltar and want to do some trail biking you could do worse than giving Phil at riders of the lost trail a call - the trails are amazing. I went there last month and had a blast, I’d go back tomorrow if I could get the time off. Although I don’t think he rides in the height of summer due to the heat and the possibility of burning down acres of forest if a hot exhaust hits dry grass.

http://www.ridersofthelosttrail.com/

you should do this…the diving in Egypt is sublime

+1 with Dahab. One of my best friends and her partner run yoga holidays there and have been going back every year for the past decade - they are always raving on about it and seem to have quite a few local contacts, so can always ask them where they stay and the best places to go if you like. I have never been, but it does sound like a great part of Egypt to visit :slight_smile:

wtf is a Yoga holiday? You pay money - to sit on a mat humming all day? :stuck_out_tongue:

Heya - Egypt is great.

Cairo, pyramids and Coptic areas are cool.

Egypt is great for diving, I’ve been a few times - got stalked by an Oceanic Whitetip, swam with dozens of wild dolphins off Samadai “dolphin house” reef 1 year (though the year before, nothing), and a lone Hammerhead as we were running out of air.

Sharm is lovely, though last time I went (years ago) it was getting big and the diving a bit spoilted. The best stuff was further south in Marsa Alam. In Sharm, the divers used to rate a restaurant in “Old Sharm” - I believe it was the Sinai Star.

The water can get you, so be a bit careful. Sometimes the effect builds till it gets you at the end of the holiday :-/ Most of the divers were ready with medicines…

As for me … been to Cambodia already, and just got back from a week of random motorbike wending around Italy (lovely!). Going to spend a week doing off-road around Wales with Black Desert, and booked up a 2-week “motorcycle safari” with GlobalEnduro across 5 countries in Africa.

On top of that … Martin and I are wondering about another longish adventure like - http://bigben.to/ :slight_smile:

Only today a girl at work was talking about how her mum got ill in Egypt … and not because of the water which is what gets most people.

She ended up in hospital her belly was so bad …

How you ask?

Well - she ate her breakfast in the morning … had a half hour sunbathing … jumped in the pool for a quick swim and cool off … half hour sunbathing … back in the pool … etc etc … lunch … repeat …

The digestive juices in her stomach - and her breakfast/lunch - (and therefore you’d imagine the rest of her internal organs) - were re-cooking inside her stomach because of the heat! :sick:

So … as nice as I’m sure the country is … please - for the love of god - don’t sunbathe if it’s ridiculously warm … even only in 30 minute blasts :sick: :sick: :sick:

w00p, CT, haven’t been down there for a while now :blink:
Say hi to the table mountain from me :w00t:

this was last time I was there, '98 :w00t:

Me father’s off to China for 1.5 - 2 years next month, so I may see if I can get a flight over there at some point

Off to Vietnam for a month and thinking of a short visit to Cambodia…

anyone go any suggestions of good places to visit?

Heading down through France, across the top of Spain, down the length of Portugal, back into Spain, along the bottom to murcia, stay with friends for a long weekend, then work my way back up, home.

I cant wait to leave, roll on August :slight_smile:

Some of you guys are going on some proper adventures, I really want to do a biking holiday (when I’ve passed my ‘big’ test)

So it’s looking like me and big bossman are going to Amsterdam next week for a few days, back to Portugal with le boyfriend for 2 weeks in mid July then we’re going on a non-work ‘proper’ holiday to Egypt in September.

I’m not paying for any of them, haha. Lucky girl :slight_smile: