Hit a cyclist this morning

Anyone know why cyclists don’t have to have insurance?

I’m guessing its hard enough trying to persuade people to use non-petrol based transport in this lethal city, without forcing htem to pay for the privilige of doing so…

I do think it is pretty crap though, cos there’s absoltuely no way to hold them accountable for their idioicy, and believe me, although I am a die-hard cyclist and a bit of me dies every time you lot slag them off…there are some REAL idiots out there.

Maybe cyclists should have licence plates - £10.00 to the city, a way to hold the idiots accoutable including fining the light jumping twats…and then maybe they’d learn some responsiblity for their actions too…?

Any takers?

man that’s nasty - hope you’re going to get her for the damage!

You can make a claim against the cyclist, not insurance but a civil claim I belive, correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for all your support.
An ambulance was called for the cyclist, so the police were called automatically and they took statements and such. The cyclist was a gibbering wreck so it wouldn’t have been worth yelling at her even if I’d wanted to. I doubt if I can be arsed trying to make a claim against her as there is so little damage.

On the bright side, I gave myself the afternoon off for some motorcycle and cake based therapy, taking myself off to the tea shop at Compton.

This evening I helped Cezar to retrieve some neglected heap of junk that he hopes to return to being a motorcycle. I am home now with a nice glass of beer and a bottle of red wine for later. By tomorrow afternoon I’ll be right as rain.

Cheers
Duncan

Glad your OK mate, I must admit I dont like cyclists after a couple of near misses, but it is only some of them, not all that act stupidly. I think they should have some sort of training before they’re allowed on the road. I will make sure my kids do.

H

Do you remember the cycling proficiency test? Does it still exist? I remember doing it as a kid, but that was some 30 years ago.

I don’t think the compulsory registration of bicycles/cyclists would work. But what might do it is if any cyclist who is involved in a road traffic accident is automatically liable if they have not passed their cycling proficiency test or similar.

Duncan

Yep it still exists, I often see groups of kids with ‘Instructors’ out on the roads from the local schools.

Ooo just catching up - sounds like a nightmare dude. Hitting someone else, and it’s really them you hit if they’re on a bike, is a scary and unnerving thing. Not easy to get over either no doubt.

Take it easy, be happy there was nothing you could have done to avoid it - and it could’ve been worse as perhaps you might not have washed so much speed off or being driving a car and sent her into next week/life.

Get Dr Cez to prescribe some medication…

Couldn’t you still make a personal injury claim against this person, if you were so inclined?

Soz to hear this Glad all is ok.
These people need to be held accountable like other road users, I agree that as with every type of road user not all are bad but this is happening so often. Perhaps if they were held accountable they’d be more vigilant.