High Mileage?

so did mine its the way the old fuel injection worked if you cracked the throttle open

the old fuel injection was a basic system taken from a car & adapted to work on a bike

My R1 has done 31k but looks and rides like its done 5k, well maintained and cleaned just ignore the wheelies! :smiley: My new aprilia will be run in and on the wales trip in its first month (hopefully it arrives by then) and will have done 1500ish miles in a few weeks and two oil changes. lol

S’funny - We can buy a car, 5 years old, with 60,000 on the clock and not bat an eyelid but a bike with 30k plus makes everyone think twice.

I can’t see the difference really BUT since average mileage for bikes is so low compared with cars (especially top-end sports models seen as weekend toys) the 30k model is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Consequently I would always seek out low-milers if just for the fact that I want an easy sale when I eventually come to sell it - even though I KNOW it’s going to be just as reliable as the 30k one.

If you have a look at Ebay/Biketrader etc there can be 50 bikes of an any model for sale - most of which will have an average 2k per year on them - selling a 30k one becomes a real challenge - how much do you have to drop the price to get someone to look at it???

… hence, only buy bikes, never sell them. :wink:

TBH I’ve seen bikes the same year as mine with 8k miles that look worse, no service history and priced way off the mark - as long as the bike is priced accordingly then selling shouldn’t be a problem. I normally see what trade in price my bikes are worth and add 10-15% on for private sale which is about right for any bike as long as it’s in good condition.

Thinking about it ‘Previous owners’ should also be taken into account when putting a value on used vehicles.

When I replaced BBII, not to be confused with BB2, I filtered my searches to <30,000 miles. I also ruled out anything non OEM factory standard, and anything with more than three previous owners. My theory is that the first owner will take extra care of their hard earned investment, the second owner will take care of their new found pride and joy, and if by the time it leaves the third owner its still OEM factory standard then it won’t have had too much DIY fettling going on. In my book the less DIY fettling the better because there’s less chances of something being broken while attempting to fix something else or have I read too many ‘help’, ‘how do I’ or ‘where is the’ posts on motor vehicle forums :ermm:

Conclusion …

Mr WhereisheofftonowI’monlyjealousgibsons’s formulae should be extended to include the effects of cubic capacity, age and number of previous owners as well as the mileage and number of cylinders.

[quote]
Triang - Ross (05/02/2015)

S’funny - We can buy a car, 5 years old, with 60,000 on the clock and not bat an eyelid but a bike with 30k plus makes everyone think twice… quote]

Apples and oranges. The wear on a car is less than that of a motorcycle. With most cars red lining at between 6.5k to 7.5k rpm, and most bike red lining at 12k to 14+ rpm, you can seen that there has been more wear inside the engine on bikes. That one of the reasons we should only use motorcycle engine oil, and not car engine oil, in our toys, as the bike oil can handle higher tolerances.

I get fed up of dealers telling me that a year old bike with 20k on it cant sell so they offer silly money. Thats why I never sell and just end up with garage fulls lol

My gsxr k9 has 60k and goes like it did 5 years ago, id never ever sell this bike. All mine have high mileage but being as ive done them all it doesnt matter, I think id be more reluctant to buy a bike with it on though so can see why dealers dont want them.

Had to laugh when I traded the triumph gt in last year with 19k on it, a year old bike. He moaned about the mileage so I said… its a bloody touring bike, was I supposed to just sit looking at it?

There are a lot of riders who couldn’t get to 20,000 miles without destroying the bike. :slight_smile:

I’d be interested to see the total miles of all yours and marks bikes combined? Lol

All those bikes and a scooter, all that mileage where’s Rachel :ermm:

[quote]
SeanR1 (05/02/2015)

+1 , 10-15% on top of trade-in sounds right.

Of course I forgot that your average car engine never revs its nuts off! :smiley: hence the difference - silly :blush: me !

I’ve just totted them up Sean, just shy of 300.000 miles. :smiley:

That is approx 12 times around the planet. :wink:

My Bandit has done 64k, but 40k of those were done in the last few years as a commuting workhorse (not by me!). Previously it had full history, and other than a squared-off front tyre there really isn’t much up with it.