Hi

I’m a biker and have been for 37 years, been riding in London since 1982. In that time I’ve explored a lot of London and know my way round most of the streets. I think being a courier for 6 years helped. I now drive a London bus and have been for 15 years

I’ve just started to try and get a London MAG group going because there isn’t one in London, and London really needs something like MAG to get the streets and roads more biker friendly. Things like consistency of using bus lanes. Fighting Tfl with the altitude to narrowing roads to stop motorcycle’s and scooters filtering.

Enjoy the ride

T

And… you’re new to the forum? Welcome

I don’t know what a MAG group is but I am keen to support anyone who is going to campaign for motorcycle safety in London. I agree the super cycle highway is too wide and leaves insufficient room for lorries and motorcycles to progress safely on the remaining narrow road. More motorcyclists will be injured and killed as a result.

In 2014 12 cyclists were killed in central London. 31 motorcyclists were killed.

So please tell me more.

Motorcycle Action Group

Eezie, I’ve arranged a preliminary meeting at the ace cafe for Thursday 10th March from 7-9pm to see if anyone is interested, you can email me if you like for more info or go to the website mag-uk.org

Tim

Take it http://greater-london.mag-uk.org/ have disbanded then ? Used to remember two ladies always handing out Mag stuff in the ace a few years ago

Welcome Tyger800Tim, from another ex DR of the mid '80s.

TimR

Greater London MAG is the one I’m trying to get going again. I don’t know what happened to it, hopefully it will get going again.

Welcome Tyger800Tim!

Welcome to the group/family

... or go to the website mag-uk.org Tyger800Tim
You may now add content to the directory /var/www/html/.
Note that until you do so, people visiting your website will see this
page, and not your content. To prevent this page from ever being used,
follow the instructions in the file /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf.

Hah, needs the Ws: http://www.mag-uk.org/

Welcome Tim! Quite some city experience you have there! Great to see someone still willing to fight against the machine.

forgive my cynicism but when was the last time a march or change.org petition changed anything? 

Only way to fight the machine these days is with fire. 

Neither work on their own, or are particularly expected to, but they do demonstrate popular support for something, and so do help. Moreso marches than petitions. I don’t think anybody’s advocating them here, though?

First of all welcome.

Glad to see that someone is at least trying to make a difference.

First of all welcome.

Glad to see that someone is at least trying to make a difference.

Changyammi
Second that

Thanks for the welcome, I must admit it seems a great site and have started adding my points of view already.
I didnt join the chat room to push MAG just to find out what bikers are concerned about.
Me_groovy If you want to find out what MAG have already done for biking and are planning on doing have a good look at their website.

Me_groovy

Just come across this about some of what MAG has done that might affect you.

MAG MILESTONES
1973: MAG forms in response to a new law making it compulsory to wear a crash helmet.
1976: Sikhs exempted from helmet law following a campaign supported by MAG.
1978: MAG devolves London power base to Regional Representatives.
1984: MAG campaign results in ban on motorcycle trailers being repealed.
1988: Euro demo in Strasbourg; Federation of European Motorcyclists (FEM) formed.
1991: EC Licence Directive becomes law, but separate licencing for bikes over 400 cc is defeated following an intense campaign of lobbying.
1994: Giant Euro Demo in response to EU Multi-directive.
1997: Launch of “Bikers are Voters” campaign. All major UK political parties publish motorcycling manifestos.
1997: First MEP ride, Strasbourg. Meeting takes place between motorcycling groups and Government to discuss transport policy.
1998: MAG Scotland and MAG Cymru are relaunched.
1998: Formation of Government’s ‘Advisory Group for Motorcycles’ is announced.
1998: MAG is involved with the launch of new “Bikesafe 2000” initiative.
2001: Government announces a national motorcycle strategy.
2001: Bikes exempted from new Congestion Charge (London) following MAG campaign.
2002: Motorcycles trialled in London bus lanes and given access to M4 bus lane…
2007: British Government backs MAG in opposing mandatory use throughout Europe of daytime lights.
2010: Following on from the success of the “Bikers are Voters” campaign, a new “Riders are Voters” campaign is launched.
2011: Cross-country rolling demo on September 25th, in response to raft of proposed EU legislation, makes national and regional news.
2013: MAG celebrates its 40th Anniversary.
For a more comprehensive history of MAG with historical context, see the book “Motorcycles Forever” by Ian Mutch, from which most of the above information was drawn.

Tim

hi and welcome tim liking your post i’ll try to make the meet in march