Help .... Son's lexmoto electric start fault

Sounds like it - can you earth the starter separately? To check?

Mid report:

1. Have stripped and totally cleaned up the ignition. It was ‘dirty’ but cleaned up all connections, etc. However on reinstall - no change to the issue.

2. tested the battery properly (with meter) and can report;

At rest - 12.68v
Ignition on - 12.65v
Dipped headlight on - 12.13v
Main beam - 12.12v
Headlight back off - returns to 12.68v

On kickstart - drops momentarily to 12.51v
Then climbs to a steady 14.23v
After 1min, engine ‘settles’ and voltage drops to 14.15v, then climbs to 14.22/14.23

Conclusion - appears to me that both ignition and battery okay. Earth issue is most likely therefore. 

All agree?

Abzero … Forgive me but if the starter motor and solenoid are seemingly okay, and it’s the spark plug that’s not firing on the electric starter, why would direct ground to the starter motor help?

What effect on the battery voltage does pressing the starter button have?

Just tried - 11.83v

Ummmm that’s an issue - yes?

BUT I did try it off the cars battery (Car not running) and has no success off that …

Abzero ....... Forgive me but if the starter motor and solenoid are seemingly okay, and it's the spark plug that's not firing on the electric starter, why would direct ground to the starter motor help? IanWilliamson
So it seems the ignition circuitry works normally. But doesn't work if the start motor is engaged. So what I was attempting todo was to isolate the starter from the circuit - or at least the earth bit. To see if that fixed your issue.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

A starter motor will cause the voltage on the batter to drop some what - where as the kick wouldn’t. Do you know what the supplied voltages are to the ignition circuitry with the startermotor running?

Why wouldn’t need to run the car the battery is more than man enough to send a healthy load of juice to the bike
Check the coil has a good connection to the bike try running a new Earth from the coil direct to the battery

The above should (hopefully) take you to the wiring diagram and manual.

Tomorrow (day off - whoop whoop) I’ll take the starter OFF of the ground and temporarily link it directly back to the battery. I’ll report back what that does.

Supplied voltage to ignition circuitry with start motor running - how do I measure that?

Voltage getting to the coil on Kickstart - but no voltage to the coil on the electric start.

Assuming therefore that the CDI (which was a unrestricted change over by the last owner) may be at fault …

Voltage getting to the coil on Kickstart - but no voltage to the coil on the electric start.

Assuming therefore that the CDI (which was a unrestricted change over by the last owner) may be at fault …

IanWilliamson
its a aftermarket CDI

IS the feed to the Cdi ok under electric start as well? If so sounds like you’ve found the issue.

Will check - however priority is NOW sorting out the carb. Its presently very poorly … ! :-(

One thing after a fucking’nother

always the way - hopefully once’s its sorted your Son doesn’t bin the bike.  enjoys the bike.