Hello folks, it's been a while

Yes.

RoadcraftNottingham (an instructor on YouTube) did a review on one the other year and disagreed with that amongst other conceptions about them.

I don’t disagree it might be a misconception that they can’t steer.

For me the comment was on looks rather than performance.

Given my past aversion to 990s (documented on LB), this is now fast becoming a likelihood I will own a Goldwing at some point

Funnily enough I remember it bigger… Did it become bigger as it evolved, in later models?

Africa Twin? I’m looking to chop in my Triumph Sprint St for one when the dealerships reopen and I can test ride a couple - DCT and manual.

I like the look of the Africa Twin. If two up with luggage wasn’t the be and end all I’d seriously consider one. Will probably test one anyway, this sort of bike use to be right up my street.

1 Like

People used to think the Pan Europeans were too big etc, whilst they had their faults (weave at high speed) they were extremely agile in capable hands and would wheelie if rolled on the power too enthusiastically, although that was possibly more to the overloading of them :joy:

Hi @HBG, welcome to LB and back to biking :slight_smile:

Life is short, if you like the Goldwing, then go for it! It’s an extreme bike by any measure but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad choice. I would just make sure it’s not too difficult on things like insurance, parking, securing over night, going into town, fuel, servicing, etc. If it ticks all the boxes, why not go bold?

1 Like

Just because he is thinking of the Goldwing doesn’t mean he has no hair!

Still got my hair…and my teeth!

BMW and Honda test rides booked for next Sat!

1 Like

Had a couple of test rides today - was hoping to decide conclusively but…

After a swim in a lake we went to try three BMWs, RS, RT and GS. Sat on the RS and decided not to bother with a test ride. The GSA felt absolutely massive and unwieldy. The RT, the bike I was most interested in looked the part and was got out ready to ride.

Always a bit nervous with a new bike, Nicole and I set off for a spin. All was good along lanes and bypasses, started to rain and we stayed almost completely dry which was good. Although the bike doesn’t dive under braking Nicole would slide forward each time. She couldn’t stop herself even when I was gentle. The cornering was a bit odd I thought. Counter steer pressure had to be kept on through a bend, just seemed not to carve round easily. Also the mirrors are too low, chin bar of my helmet blocked them so I had to move my head each time rather than flick my eyes only to see the handlebar ends cover half the mirror. We came away feeling underwhelmed, as she said, “it does the job, but not exciting”. The mistake we made then was not riding a GS.

This afternoon we went to Honda and tried an 1100 Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Didn’t have such a long ride but got straight on and felt completely at ease. Oddly although it looks big, doesn’t feel it when on it. Was all local roads and roundabouts - it felt great, neutral, lovely turn in, held its line through corners, great gearbox. The seat was a bit hard but Nicole felt more secure on it than the RT, didn’t slide about and could brace when braking. Not sure if it’s a bike for two up long distances and not sure about weather protection but we loved it.

The ride on the Goldwing two weeks earlier was on our minds as was the omission of a GS test ride. Could the GS be so different to the RT? Could it be viceless and manageable?

Think we will go back to BMW next week. And find out.

1 Like

Would strongly recommend the Non Adventure GS. I’ve had two and loved them. Never felt the need for the adventure, always seemed too big for me but the smaller one is spot on.

It’s got loads of character and the dimensions just feel so right for me (5’ 10”). Really nicely balanced and imo there is no better a touring bike (I’ve tried to find another). Would get another tomorrow. Might do actually.

Welcome to LB @HBG :beers:

Haven’t really got much to add on the great advice that’s already been given.

I echo the thoughts on not trying to get exactly the “right bike” first time and going with whatever grabs your fancy the most. It’s quite hard to tell without many hours on the bike, which you’re not going to get through test rides.

Good luck! Keep us updated with what you test and end up choosing!

Thanks Jay and Kyle. All good advice.

2 Likes

I know you’re looking for a new/nearly new bike but thought I’d suggest some others that fall into this style:

• Triumph Trophy ( discont. 2017) - My friend and IAM observer had one of these for 5 years a significantly better rider than me so could just be the rider, but I couldn’t get away from him riding a vfr1200
  • Kawasaki GTR1400 (discont. 2019) - full disclosure I have one of these. Hard to argue with them in this class for value for money. So smooth and takes off like a rocket. Large service intervals, unquestionable reliability
  • Yamaha FJR1300 - if the prices were the same I’d have got this rather than above. I have had good experience with yamaha and I really did fancy this but I bought above for £2500 and haven’t looked back…
  • Honda Pan European (discont. 2019) - I wanted to want one, especially when you look at the miles they can clock up but I think they hold value slightly too well. but I bought a vfr1200 instead, 8k miles on the clock and £4500, if you have a cursory glance at what you’d get in terms of st1300 for that and I’d rather not

Can’t claim to know much about the BMWs actually, but I wonder if this is the telelever suspension? This could require some getting used to so perhaps worth another go in a few weeks

This, I don’t know what to suggest sounds like you’re just the wrong height for it! How tall are you? Not sure if this is a common problem or not, perhaps solvable with a new seat? Is this still a problem if you ride without a pillion?

My first thought would be to check the tyre pressures. Demo bikes will have been sitting around for a long time during lockdown and dealers often forget to pump the tyres back up ahead of a test-ride. This infuriates me as you have to take time out of your test ride to stop at a garage to check them - Makes all the world of difference to handling.

The duoleaver/teleleaver suspension never gave me any concerns on my two R1200GS’, even when riding them hard. Our @B would definately be able to tell the difference though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The last three bikes I looked at all had incorrect tyre pressures.
They take no time at all to check but can transform the ride.
I’d suggest always checking the pressures before any ride, it’ll increase the fun and safety.
Regarding the bike needing counter steering once in a turn is often due to the rear sitting too low. Carrying a pillion will do this but it’s easy to fix by adding a bit of preload and or compression damping.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. The RT had electric suspension adjustment. Was supposedly on automatic, self levelling I was told. Perhaps it was bust!

The mirrors thing was odd, I’m 5’11", normal build. Maybe they didn’t know where else to out them.

What made you dismiss the BMW RS? Chap I know loves his, excellent long distance and touring capability.

Haven’t dismissed it as such, just was a bit underwhelmed by it, thought the steering a bit weird and the mirrors virtually useless. Might need to try it again as in many ways it could be ideal.

Last weekend I put a deposit down on a bike, will be my first for over 20 years.

I’m in a rush to sort some security, Almax and Pragmasis, about the same? One uses a Squire lock the other a round lock thing. This will be mostly for home, are those padlocks equivalent?

And a ground anchor, probably a y anchor, any others I should consider?

Very excited, feels very naughty to have bought myself something that isn’t essential, isn’t for the house or kids.

1 Like