Heated grips

Looks like I’m under pressure to get muffs, what ones do you reckon then Tiggi, I’m looking at you as my advisor now!!

Lol, I don’t know, I don’t have any :stuck_out_tongue: but I don’t use my bike to commute. If you do get some though make sure you post a pic up so we can take the pee out of you :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Well my 2-month-old Oxford grips let me down a little bit this morning. They switched on for a moment, and promptly switched back off again. Presumably this was caused by the battery being flatter than they would like due to the cold weather (the grips have a circuit that senses battery power and switches them off if the voltage falls below a certain level, so they don’t drain the battery to the extent that you can’t start the bike). This is despite the fact that the engine was running.

So for the first 15 minutes of my 40-minute commute I got very cold hands. They finally decided to work (I revved the engine when switching them on) so I whacked them up to full power and within a few minutes I couldn’t hold the grips they were so hot!

So an Optimate battery charger will be on my shopping list at the NEC this Sunday…

dont get muffs …dont do it !silk inners and gloves is all I have and thats fine

(most of the time !)

Now you’ve put me right off them again…I’ll get some if you do.

Decisions decisions decisions

Seriously, I am only pulling your leg, you need to be as warm as possible on a bike, get cold and you’ll lose concentration so who gives a toss what you look like :slight_smile:

two questions what bike do you have and have you tried silk inners ?

Ok Tiggi…you’re getting some too then. :slight_smile:

In answer to the bike it’s a 1998 bandit 600n and i have liners but not silk.

off to some training now so will look at posts later.

I would def get some if I used my bike for work everyday, I got loads of stick for my heated grips but it seems like I set some trends, quite a few people have got them now, I won’t embarrass them all by naming them :stuck_out_tongue:

Why would you get stick for heated grips?

I’ve put a set of R&G heated grips on the R1 and they don’t look too bad.
On mornings like this morning I just stick them on High and they’re nice and warm for the ride to work. They were pretty cheap as well, only about £30.

Alta-Ego,You said in one of your posts you wired them into the lighting circuit. Could this be reason they are not getting hot enough? Have you tried wiring them direct to the battery?

PH

Can’t think why this would make a difference as I know others do this and it’s just a way of ensuring they don’t get left on, but I’m no expert so might be I suppose. Bit of a pain to test cus I’ve taped them all into the loom.They seem to get hot for some of the ride home last night but then went cool by the end. Mystery.

we wired some oxford heated grips to the headlight of a mates CBR the other day.

The headlight didnt have enough power to operate the grips, they only started if the bike revved about 2,500 and turn off when stopped at lights.

In they grips had to be wired straight to the battery… they are the ones that check the voltage of the battery and wont turn on if they reach a certain point

hope this helps :ermm: and doesnt make you hate your grips even more

Do you know which grips they were?

They will be these ones (same as mine):http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=30&pid=174&p

it was the oxford hotgrips

the new ones (doesnt have a dial but buttons)

I HATE MY GRIPS!!!

lol… :ermm: sorry