Headstock bearings??

When travelling at a low speed say between 5mph and 20mph my bike has a slight repetitive bump as if the tyre pressure is too low or my front suspension isn’t right.
Also when leaning into a corner I get a similar effect.
I spoke to my boss at work who says it might be the head stock bearings. I’m not one to bounce through pot holes or wheelie the bike, is it possible my head bearings could be the issue and how do I check??

BM

Lift the front wheel up and turn the steering check its smooth no notcheness…Also put the bike on full lock with the wheel off the ground ad check the wheel beerings mate

Problem is I haven’t got a front paddock stand. Useful advice though…thanks!! :slight_smile:

BM

hold front wheel firmly and other hand on bars, pull the bars/top yoke toward you while at same time pushing front wheel towards the bars, opposite way to which your pulling the bars/top yoke.

put hand on top of wheel.

i know wot i mean, lol

yeah you basically want to lift the front and give it a jiggle to see if there’s any lateral movement through the steering stem

I tried this with no problems to report back, this isn’t a contradiction of your advice just adding.

Headbearing check

The bike is due for a service in a 1000 miles which should be in a couple of months, I might leave it until then.

BM

I HAVE THE SAME PROB ON MY BLACKBIRD

CHANGED THE HEAD BEARINGS, GOT NEW WHEEL BEARINGS, STILL THE SAME, TYRES NEW 2K ON THEM, NOW THINKING FORKS BUT CAN NOT SEE HOW HO AND JUST HAD FRONT WHEEL BALANCED. ITS SENDING ME:crazy:

what you can do is put it on the side stand, lean the bike over so that its using the sidestand as a pivot and by leaning the bike you can raise the front wheel

like so:

then check the headstock by rotating the bars left right, there shouldnt be a point where the handlebars seems to ‘lock’

Get down to OMC.

Changed mine in a couple of hours, with a free coffee too. If it’s not that, I’m sure they could diagnose the problem for you. Better safe than sorry I say - AND you get the experience of doing the work yourself.

:slight_smile:

For handling problems it could also be the swingarm bearings and or suspension linkages.

checked em to day, all fine there;)

tryed that with the bird, haha no chance

If you are stuck then pop in and I will have a look for you , no charge

Nick

http://www.revolutionbiketech.co.uk

I am sure some one will tell me if this is too cheeky, if so sorry won’t do it again!