headlight or fairing replacment

hi all…

I’m re-building/restoring a zzr1100 c1 … :crazy:

I want to update the looks a bit and have decided a twin headlight that I could fit HID’s into would be a plus as the standard headlight really isn’t great …

and if your thinking to yourself why… just because I want to :w00t: and I want something different :smiley:

I’m under no illusion how hard it’s gonna be or the amount of work involved

has anyone on here done this to any of their bikes ??

my options are -

1…get a fiberglass company to make me a one-off fairing top section to fit around a chosen headlight (haven’t decided what light yet) and I should imagine it’s very expensive …

2…try to find a twin that will fit in my fairing with only cutting out to do and adding mounting points

or

3… my favourite option, buy a top section from ebay that is made for a twin and graft the nose with headlight mountings onto my top section with plastic welding and epoxy filler, and strengthening on the inside

one of the many problems is I’d have to go out to look and measure up every fairing to get a close enough match, shape and size so I can heat form it to the shape of mine to make the mating surfaces …

obviously I want to do this properly, don’t want to hit a bump in the road and the nose falls off …:crazy::smiley:

I have thought about getting a light and just fiberglassing where I have to in order to get it fitting and mounted, but my past endeavours with fiberglass weren’t good, ive got no vacuum set up so ended up with very thick and heavy sections , ok for hidden stuff but not outside …

any suggestions, not give up :smiley: would be appreciated … many thanks in advance …AL…

have you considered opening your headlight and mounting twin bulbs in there then adding a fibeglass bridge to your fairing to create the illusion of twin spots?

That is a great idea and will keep it looking original and also keep it safely mounted as no mounting points added or lost

well groovy, in short “no I never”…

I got tied up with the idea about changing it completely …

I did briefly look at these and thought about removing my glass and just fitting a headlight protector over the front …

I just added a quick link to these as an idea coz I cant put an ebay link in a post

http://xenonhids.co.uk/xenon-hid-bulbs-1/xenon-hid-bulbs/bi-xenon-projector-lens-light-hid-angels-eye-h4.html

I would be happy with something like these if they are road legal and would pass an MOT …

what do ya think …

and thanks for the reply …AL…

if I were you and you want to go down that route, I’d say buy those and a spare headlight unit off ebay to hack about with.

bear in mind that your front lens might have a pattern on it to disperse the central light. it won’t disperse so well with a light on either side.

hi ya …that’s one of the reasons I was looking at changing the whole unit as mine is not hid compatible in any way…

I could split mine and fit the projectors in the case and try to find a clear cover to fit …

I was thinking of something like this (ZX10R) and moding the fairing around it …but I’d still have to get one in my hands to get the dimensions to see if it could be done …

what do ya think …AL…

if you’re anywhere near Watford, you could go visit BigD from this site, he breaks up bikes and might well have a collection of headlights you can compare

hi ya …

that’s exactly what I need, but I’m in crystal palace … I’ve been looking for breakers in/around my area, there’s none I’ve found … years ago I would go to allbike spares and look through their stock till I found what I needed, it ain’t that easy anymore … I’ve even thought about buying one from ebay and just selling it on if it don’t fit, and carry on doing this till I find one …

as I said in the first post I’m under no illusion how hard it’s gonna be to do this … cheerz…AL…

Your easiest option may be to try & get hold of a top fairing from a ZZR1200 as that has twin headlights & the 1200 was really just an update on the 1100 so may not need too much modding to fit, even easier if you got the full fairing.

Failing that I’d look at a Yamaha FZR1000 exup headlight, it had a single headlamp of a similar shape to the ZZR & housed twin projectors.

Whilst just googling to check the shape of the ZZR1100 headlight I found this:

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-11-forum/86057-upper-cowling-conversion.html

As its a c model it willl take a lot to get a 1200 fairing to blend on in my opinion .
I still have a few parts leftfrom my zzr1100 c1 knocking about … definitely was not a looker I admit but still have pegs hangers think I have headlight but not sure . Rear wheel …Indicators . A powebronze touring screen … do have a renntec rear luggage rack also …as well as other bits and bobs .

well done pat …

I’ve been doing a lot of searching and I’ve never come across this page … the zx7r head light was one of my chosen lights, I can put projectors in it and the mountings are in similar place …

I know that bike was a “d” model but they use the same headlight as the “c”…

I still wanna try get a look at the zx10r light before I settle on it … I know it will take a lot more modding but I just like the look of it more …

hi tim where abouts are you, handy to know you have spares … nothing is jumping out at me at the moment but when I start stripping mine down I might find something …

thanks for the help guy’s …AL…

hi all …

I’m popping to hastings in the morning to look at a zx10r headlight … the gut was really helpful and sent me pics of the light with a tape measure from different angles and it looks like I have room in my fairing for it and its not too wide and the curves are in the right place …

if its a no go then its deffo the zx7r light that I’ll fit

still gotta find a rear light with a clear lens …

also has anyone got any old broken plastic panels kicking around in the back of the garage or something that they want to get rid of cheap I’m gonna need some plastic to make infills on my fairing …

the closer to me the better … cheerz…AL…

hi guys… its on for the zx10r head light … offered it up to the fairing and its the right shape to fit, gonna be a bit of cutting, shaping and filling but its a goer …

today will be spent cleaning and spraying the engine ready to be bolted into the nice new frame :D…

cheerz guys for the replies … AL…

hi all …

well a few months ago I started rebuilding my zed … the bike is nearly there and the modded fairing is part way done … I’m hoping to be spraying in the next couple of weeks …

ive also added nissin fronts…

there’s a few bits I want to take off to spray green after changing my mind … but I can do that later I just want to get back on the road now …

Good job with the fairings, i bet that took some doing.shame you didn’t document the whole process with the nose Cone, looks like some serious work went into that!!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product

hi ya …

i’ll load some more pics later, but this is what I started with

then I went to this but it was proving hard to mould the panels into the centre section so I stripped it back and started again …

I will make one with the zx6r centre section and screen …

also I was trying keep it simple

your bike looks fantastic the colours work so well cant wait to see it done

hi guys … I had the frame and swingarm and a couple of other bits matt black powder coated … I sprayed the wheels and used matt lacquer … all the panels are going to be the pearl green with some pearl black highlighting and detailing, same green as the cam cover but with some prism/holographic flake in to give it more shimmer … hopefully i’ll be spraying by next weekend …

I’m starting to get excited now with the prospect of riding her again… after having her in bits for 6 months…AL…

hi all … heres a link to my photobucket … theres a few different pics on there …

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/amphibianalf/library/?sort=3&page=1

after all the sanding I did a dry fit to check all is ok and to check for space for ducting for the new ram-air scoop