Have you crashed on loose chippings or a poorly resurfaced road?

You may recall a few weeks ago I asked what campaign you would like to see run relative to motorcycling safety.

The overwhelming feedback I got was loose gravel and poor re-surfacing/re-dressing of road surfaces.  Something that has not been looked at much in the past.

Well, we are looking to at this as our potential motorcycle safety campaign for 2017.  However, in order to get some decent ammunition, I need to get an idea of how many people have been affected by poorly resurfaced roads and/or loose chippings.  This does not include pot holes which is a different issue and which already has various campaigns  up and running.

So, you response to the poll/survey would be appreciated, and also an indication as to whether you would be prepared to share your story for our website and campaign material, whatever that might be when decided on.

2007 I can off on Shellgrip.  It had been thrown on the tar and left over night with no warning signs.  When I turn right, I went down like a sack of potatoes and broke a lot of ribs.  Not fun.

2007 I can off on Shellgrip.  It had been thrown on the tar and left over night with no warning signs.  When I turn right, I went down like a sack of potatoes and broke a lot of ribs.  Not fun.
Kevsta
Have you called lawyersScrewedthem to claim whats due?

How about sand covering oil with no signs saying there was a problem?
Courtesy of Merton Council.

How about sand covering oil with no signs saying there was a problem? Courtesy of Merton Council. nivag
I was going to post that..... !
How about sand covering oil with no signs saying there was a problem? Courtesy of Merton Council. nivag
Can be and may be relevant.  Thanks for that

I crashed on some gravel trying to brake really hard to go into a layby where another lber had to relieve his bladder… I thought he had broken down and missed his hand waving. At least I hope it was his hand! To be fair that was probably my fault but the gravel didn’t help!

The other time was crashing after hitting mud from a farm… Where I got my bike and gear back from farm. Not sure if the second one counts

Yep, we did a better job cleaning up and that was half way up a mountain ffs

I have only ever crashed on ice (on my first LB ride out).

Can you do something about winter?

Not crashed on the crap chippings yet, but had a few close calls. It’s so easy to slide on. IMO it’s a piss poor method of road repair.

I slipped on a banana skin once (well it was kind of general rubbish that the binmen had managed to scatter all over the road but a fair few banana skins in there) - the only time I’ve ever come off the bike in fact.

A different problem I have with surface dressing is it causes the middle of the lane to quickly wear away, which means my 125 with its little wheels is then forced out wide into the car tyre positions as it otherwise keeps bouncing left and right on the patches of dressing which remain.  And this is not so nice going around left bends on a dual carriageway where you are either forced  inside with less visibility and inviting overtakers to merge too early, or puts you right next to traffic going around at least 20mph faster.

Surface dressing uses traffic to provide part of the process of packing it down, so the middle of the lane obviously never gets properly packed.  And even before the looser chippings prematurely wear away, it stays rough and bumpy to ride on long after the rest of the road has been smoothed down.  That to me should be considered a design flaw.  It seems as because four-wheeled vehicles do not need it, and it is not a problem for bikes with fatter tyres, that no thought was giving to bicycles, scooters, and bikes with narrow wheels which are all equally valid road users.