Half of MOT fails could be avoided

DVSA is encouraging motorists to avoid MOT fails by carrying out simple vehicle checks.

The latest MOT testing data for Great Britain shows that around 40% of cars fail their MOT at the first attempt.

Common MOT fails
You can avoid common MOT fails by checking:

• lightbulbs are working - 30% of all faults related to lighting and signalling
    • tyre condition and pressure - 10% of all faults related to tyres
    • mirrors, wipers and washers - 8.5% of all faults related to ‘Driver’s view of the road’

Read more advice on how to avoid an MOT fail on GOV.UK.
Test your knowledge
How much do you know about the MOT?
Take our quick quiz on Buzzfeed to find out how to save time and money by avoiding an MOT fail.

Buzzfeed? home of such articles as “18 Times The Internet Perfectly Summed Up Playing Mario Kart”. not a chance I’m entering any data on their site. 

It’s not data, it’s a quiz. The same as the ones that tell you which sort of hobbit you’d be or whatever, just with the added bonus of telling you something useful at the end of it.

I happen to consider my hobbit soulmate a vital piece of information and am insulted you belittle it!

That’s bullshit!!!

Mine failed for a light issue because the guy was an idiot!!!

He failed my car because “the brake light didn’t work”. I pointed out to the idiot as he was driving it out of the test centre the brake lights were working!!! So he had to take it back in and pass it!!!

Hmm but your Mot is actually only ‘valid’ for that hour its in the test centre .

thats why they do retests.
If its not working at the time of testing it constitutes a fail !
Bloke doing his job in accordance strict guidelines that if he strays from and an issue occurs its his lively hood and possible prosecution in some cases .
Dvsa carry out undercover checks … or can even wait for a vehicle to leave the premises and then subject it to a retest by themselves and any infringements they will fall heavily on the tester .

Don’t shoot the messenger…just saying