Had all my kit nicked

you can fit all that in a top box? lol

sorry to hear that

Cheers Choprocker, didn’t go to Chasbikes as it was 11pm when I eventually got away. I’ll try & nip there after the bike’s been dusted on Monday…

Current thinking is to have another crack at my household insurance personal possessions cover - this is the offending exclusion bit from their policy wording - open to interpretation of course…

" theft from an unattended vehicle other than
from a locked and concealed boot, concealed
luggage compartment or closed glove
compartment of a locked vehicle which has
been broken into by using force and violence
(we will also not pay more than £1,000 for
any one incident); and

• theft, attempted theft or malicious damage
    caused or allowed by you, or which you have
    chosen to overlook.*

This is the offending paragraph. Now what I need to successfully argue is that the pannier on a pan european & givi top box is no less secure than say a car boot (think old skool Mini for example)

In my interpretation of this, they will not cover items left in view on say the back seat of the car, or a boot with the parcel shelf removed. There was nothing to outwardly suggest that my panniers and top box contained anything but fresh air.

Well worth a crack for £1500, don’tcha think?

Sorry to hear :frowning:

LOL nah… top box and 2 panniers :stuck_out_tongue: was an effin big pizza box too - 45 litres :w00t:

That’s complete cack mate. Sorry to hear it. Well impressed by your ability to be so calm and rational about it. Personally i’d be haunted by visions of myself applying my breaker bar to their legs for days afterwards.

Go for the “contents away from home” bit of your house contents policy, if you have that bit, and don’t take no for an answer without a fight.

A few years back, I was told no after my car was broken in to. They relied on the “conceald compartment” bit.

After I pointed out that 1: a locked, fitted luggage bin in the back of an Espace was as concealed as any hatchback parcel shelf and 2: please give me the name and address of your Chief Executive as I need to write to him prior to taking this to the Insurance Ombudsman I got a cheque in full as a reply.

Go for it. Their quick enough to take your money, now get some of it back.

(Claims on your household policy have the added advantage of not screwing your bike NCB. Just got my “excess” on my house policy raised for a couple of years.)

really sorry to hear of this, biggus, but as many others have said, i too admire your philosophical outlook. I hope you manage to get this properly sorted through the insurance route.

really sorry to hear of this, biggus, but as many others have said, i too admire your philosophical outlook. I hope you manage to get this properly sorted through the insurance route.

Sorry to hear this.

Fingers crossed that you didn’t leave your house keys in there and that the satnav wasn’t programmed with where your house is! :ermm:

If so - get those locks changed!!

Great, that’s exactly what I intend on doing. Also had this advice elsewhere, so thanks for reinforcing the point :slight_smile:

No point in getting twisted about it, not gonna change anything, saying that if i caught the scroat in the act they’d probably be being fed by a tube as we speak… Have to say if I’d not seen the accident on the motorway my outlook might have been different, certainly put my “material loss” into perspective.

No luckily housekeys weren’t in there, Satnav was not programmed for home; however my driving licence was in there, which of course has my address on it. Extra vigilence required for bike security me thinks, got all 4 chained together and ground anchored now, plus neighbours informed (luckily they are observant/nosey enough to let me know of anything suspicious)

Retail therapy, here I come :w00t:

Sorry to hear this, is nothing safe nowadays???

Not unless it’s chained down and protected by CCTV and some exceedingly cheesed off hungry dogs…

Suprise suprise no prints were found during my visit yesterday to Camberwell, nick. Prints on the outside of a bike are potentially flawed in court anyway as the scroat would argue that they must’ve walked past the bike and touched it that way… Letter has gone off to my contents insurance, so perhaps they will pay out, who knows… What’s needed to be replaced has been… I’m lucky enough to be of sufficient means that I was able to go out and replace stuff immediately, not everyone has that luxury though.

Update on this is that my home insurance have agreed to pay out up to £1,000, happy days… :slight_smile:

Won’t have my new leathers before I go to the Ring though… textiles it is then :w00t:

Excellent news mate:D

Great news :smiley:

Good to hear the house insurance paid up - i had a similar amout of gear nicked from my garage last year - is it just me or is it always a damn sight easier and quicker when claiming on a house policy rather than the hassle and blood from stone mentality experienced with any type of motor insurance claim?On the lesson learned side… must admit ever since the parking bays become so jam packed with knackered scoots and commuters i always pay the £4 in the nearest ncp even if im just having a quick lunch with the other half. I just hope they dont increase the £4 charge now the boroughs have started charging in the bays!

Damn - I should have charged you full price for the helmet! :wink:

Actually that was the one exclusion funnily enough, I guess as it’s the only thing that’s actually legal requirement to wear maybe… Still better than a kick in the gonads. First time I wore the lid some one kicked a dang stone up at it and it’s now got a big chip in it… typical… :hehe: