Groovy's pro tip of the day

Maintain yer bike!
just spent several hours in the garage trying to cut a shredded wheel bearing out with a dremel cos I hadn’t noticed it was going bad.

Also, if you use canned compressed air to blow out the metal shavings, the condensed water on the hot metal superheats and will spontaneously combust all the filings that are now airborne. that was a teeny bit scary.

oops…:smiley:

Check ya bearings then :w00t:

The saying “right tool for the job” comes to mind

I tried a lump of steel and hitting it out with a hammer to no effect. can’t get a cold chisel on the lip either.

Try cold instead of heat. A bag of ice with lots of salt should be able to drop the temp to -10C or so and should help.

why do you use salt with the ice? won’t that melt it?

Salt lowers the freezing point of water, hence salting roads.

Try putting crushed ice in a cup and adding a few teaspoonfuls of salt, if you have a thermometer stick it in.

You should get down to -8 degrees easily.

Trust me I used to be a science teacher.:smiley:

ah so you add the salt to the ice then pour the -8 degrees water on the wheel hub…

thanks mr jetstream :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a question on this Mr J … that I’m sure you’ll be able to answer … and my science teacher at school couldn’t … (but I’d forgotten about wanting to know the answer until just reading this thread)I acknowledge that salt lowers the freezing point of water - which is why we salt the roads … and that it raises the boiling point of water - which is why we season the water when cooking veg :stuck_out_tongue: Howeverrr … if you have a cup of ice with a thermometer stuck in it (and memory serves from the lesson years ago) … the temperature is somewhere between -4 degrees (the temperature of the freezer) and 0 degrees (i.e. the melting point of ice) … How/why … does adding salt to the cup reduce the temperature? I can understand if you had frozen saltwater to start with … but just sprinkling salt on normal ice … :unsure:??Hope this makes sense :smiley:

That’s exactly what I was wondering…

He took the words right out of my mouth. One of lifes mysterys! :smiley:

Why is my freezer’s temp setting between -15 and -27 then?

Science me this! :cool:

we all wait in anticipation for the verdict :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you know in North America in winter time when its covered in snow for many months, the ground level temperature can be as low as -30, but its a luke warm -4 only 8inches under the snow! :smiley:

This is where all the little animals live!

The snow (made of 80% air) acts as an insulator!

were you watching Ray Mears last night by any chance??? :wink:

always remember to put oil in too :hehe:

that man is a legend. I loved it. Those beavers bloody clever little fritters!

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.It doesn’t reduce the temperature. The ice which has been in the freezer is much colder than -4 degrees (usually it’s about -20) but you can’t stick your thermometer into the ice because it’s solid. When you add salt to the mix the water in the cup can now stay liquid at below 0 degrees. The ice cools the liquid which now has a lower freezing point and you can stick your thermometer in that an get a lower reading.I’m not confident that my explanation is very well put, however, the thing to remember is that the ice is much colder than 0 degrees. The temperature stays constant when it’s freezing but after that it can get much colder.Jetstream can reprimand me if I am incorrect.

I never paid attention at school but from what I understand from reading this is that it’s got nothing to do with salt. Once water freezes it becomes a solid and therefore much harder to change it’s temp. By keeping the water from freezing we are able to continue lowering the temp of the water past 0deg. If I’m right then can I please have a Noddy badge:D and If I’m wrong then I’ve just pulled the info outta my ar$e… and that deserves a Noddy badge too :P:w00t: