Get paid by speeding in US

The action is at 3:25:

On Aug. 3, 2012, Justin Wilkens was speeding in his Aprilia motorcycle and unwittingly passed Oregon State Police Officer Rob Edwards in an unmarked cop Camaro. After a few minutes of chase, Edwards rammed Wilkens off the bike, pulled a gun on him and kicked him in the chest. If you think that sounds egregious, the jury agreed with you.

TheNewspaper.com says Edwards had his red-and-blue police lights on in the Camaro, but not a siren. The officer would testify he believed the biker was trying to elude him, but Wilkens asserted he didn’t realize he was being chased and “had never seen a black Camaro cop car before.”

I’ve never seen a police car quite like that either, and as you can see from TheNewspaper.com’s photograph of the vehicles the Camaro is pretty indistinguishable from a civilian car. Even the license plates look standard.

Among Wilkens’ injuries were “a broken clavicle and fractured rib.”

In an interesting plot twist, Edwards (the police officer) stated he did not know the police car’s dashcam was running.

After being apprehended, Wilkens brought an excessive-force claim against Edwards. As explained by local news, a jury of eight people “awarded Wilkens more than $31,000 in economic damages to reimburse his medical expenses and motorcycle repair bills; $100,000 in non­economic damages for his injuries, pain and suffering; and $50,000 in punitive damages,” which Edwards will be forced to pay.

Local news says Edwards has been an Oregon State Trooper for 22 years and held the rank of lieutenant when this incident went down, having since been promoted to captain. He was apparently reprimanded by his superiors for “neglecting to report his use of force against Wilkens” but not cited for excessive force.

After the verdict, the Oregon State Police released a statement as reported by the Register-Guard, saying their office “is disappointed with the (trial) outcome and feels the actions of our troopers clearly did not violate established procedures or tactics. In situations like these, officers have milliseconds to make what may be life-or-death decisions and those officers should be shielded from the liability of civil damages.”

© http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/motorcycle-speeder-wins-180-000-in-case-against-cop-wh-1754583037

sounds about fair to me… the amount of money is a bit excessive for one kick but that officer should lose his job over this.

he had more than a few milliseconds to decide what to do, he was a hothead rambo who finally got caught out. having a gun pulled out on you for speeding is ridiculous but getting kicked while you have a gun pulled on you is excessive force

Totally agree Alex.

Oregon State Police released a statement as reported by the
Register-Guard, saying their office “is disappointed with the (trial)
outcome and feels the actions of our troopers clearly did not violate
established procedures or tactics.

This quote bothers me the most. I mean there will always be rogue cops out there, but an institution that believes they were in the right of what happened? I mean do they think we’re living in an absolute monarchy? Really glad the biker got a generous pay-out

The guy got promoted to Captain after this as well.

There, have some freedom

100k seems pretty low honestly, american hospitals are extortionate http://www.businessinsider.com/redditors-appendectomy-cost-5502931-2013-12?IR=T

the officer should have had the book thrown at him… Not being funny it was clear the rider was pulling up and had seen the copper as he was doing so, so no need to ram the bike at all. 

Also having been tailed by the fuzz with there lights going (but no siren) and not realising for about 2 minutes it is actually easy to miss just the lights. 

that being said the officer has to pay $50’000 himself so he will not be doing that again in a hurry

Oregon State Police released a statement as reported by the Register-Guard, saying their office “is disappointed with the (trial) outcome and feels the actions of our troopers clearly did not violate established procedures or tactics. This quote bothers me the most. I mean there will always be rogue cops out there, but an institution that believes they were in the right of what happened? I mean do they think we're living in an absolute monarchy? Really glad the biker got a generous pay-out CBR500R commuter
That is deeply worrying. You can't garner respect and cooperation from the community if you don't acknowledge your mistakes.

My friend had a motorcycle accident in DC. Broken arm. They charged him $27k for 3 nights stay. And all the procedures, pills and the rest were on top of that bill. $9k per night. Deluxe suite in Ritz london £1.3k, One bedroom river view suite in Savoy £1.3k, suite 1bedroom Dorchester £3k per night :smiley:

Policing in the US is in crisis… They pretty much seem to believe they can do as they please. The Motorcyclist posed no risk to the officer and a “what ?” type stance isn’t aggressive, it’s hard to see how kicking someone in the chest is ever the correct “procedure” if anything it placed the cop at risk of falling over!