Front brake disc needs changing

One of my front discs are warped, not sure which one. Speaking to my garage they recommended changing both as if I change one it will throw my braking off. Also if I am changing discs I should also change pads also. in the end it will cost a lot.

Are they right or are they just trying to squeeze cash out of me.

If the pads are well used then I would.I would certainly at the very least change the ones on the warped side as it will have worn them unevenly. That being said the pads will be cheap in comparison anyway.

Is it something you can do yourself? or supply and get them to fit?

From what I remember from my OMC course the pads mate to the disks because all disks eventually get scored. That’s not so much of an issue when fitting new pads to old disks but you shouldn’t fit old pads to new disks as the score pattern won’t match. So new disks mean new pads.

I have had the bike for four years with 13500 miles on the clock with no pad change, if memory recalls correctly, so I guess changing the pads might not be a bad shout. I don’t have a bench so cannot do it myself also I would be confident replacing the parts but usually when you fit new pads dont you have to readjust the brake by bleeding and so forth? If so I am not trusting myself to discover that I did it wrong only when a car decides to stop suddenly in front of me. :rofl::rofl:

haha fair play. The way I always look at things like this is how integral is it?

if a spark plug isn’t working, worst case bike won’t start - would I risk it - yes I would

Oil leak - I currently have a small one(literally for the record), I know it only happens once I stop the bike and switch engine off until oil thickens again - do I risk it - yes as I can manage the problem

Brakes - for any reason, potential risk - would I risk it - hell no is the answer

Hope that helps. Although there are plenty of more educated people on here than me when it comes to bike mechanics

You need Maidstone Motoliner. Great people. http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-brake-disc-straightening.php

oh that looks really promising. have you used them before ?

Yup. Crashed my tracer 900, they bent back both fork uppers and lowers straight without even needing to strip the forks down.

You have been advised correctly - Replace discs as a pair and replace the pads too. Whether the warped disc can be straightened or not will depend on why it warped and how worn it is. Discs have wear limits, check the tolerances in a workshop service manual. Although I’d doubt that a respectable company like Motoliner would straighten out of tolerance discs, that’s plain dangerous.

1 Like

What has my mechanic promised you, half the fee, a free service ?:rofl::rofl:

I understand the logic behind change disc change pads, but why the disc pair?

Cash is one thing but a large part of the cost in having work done on your bike or car is the faff in getting quotes, then getting it there for the work, dealing with public transport while it’s being worked on, and collecting it again; often necessitating time off work. The pain on the credit card is actually just one part of the transaction.

I would not hesitate in changing both discs and pads, I would also suggest a fluid change as well, again the additional material and labour cost will be marginal.

funny you mentioned that, I was having the same thoughts today. I spoke to Motoliner today and they said that I have to bring the front wheel off the bike to them, which I will need to buy a front paddock for, as I am not keen to but my bike on bricks. Also they are in Kent which is about a 1.5 hour drive from where I live. Also they said there is no guarantee that if they managed to straighten it out it will keep and for how long. So thinking about it, their fee plus petrol, plus hassle will easily equate to at least one disc and pad. So I might as well just get it sorted.

That being said any suggestions where I can source the discs and pads. So far only Wemoto seem to stock them for the L5.

1 Like

Its the same logic - Replace discs and pads as pairs to maintain braking performance. No qualified mechanic, fitter or technician would consider anything else.

If you’re competent enough working on the brakes yourself you should be able to replace 2x discs, 2x sets of pads, brake fluid and clutch fluid for less than £300.00. An independent qualified mechanic would probably want £120.00 to £150.00 for the labour on top of that if you supply the parts. If they have to order the parts in expect them to mark the prices up by 10 to 20%.

1 Like

Just spend the money and get it done at a dealership, or purchase the parts from a dealership. In my experience the parts counter is not much more expensive than an online seller for OEM parts. In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge investment for effective brakes.

For less than £300 I wish the cheapest I have seen one of my discs for its £153 and pads £30. But I do get your point. I am confident with the mechanics its just the other little things that makes it a great job I just need to find out. So for the info I have gathered mentioned the use of locktite, never touching the levers when the pads are off, paying attention to the direction of the wheel and disc and potentially changing the mounting bolts which I am not to sure about.

@Joby the dealership is the last place I will want to go. in my experience they are usually 20% more across the board and generally less helpful when it comes to advice and just good customer service. When the bike was brand new I went back when it was in warranty but now I just avoid them. Less than good when I had my Honda and marginally better with the Suzuki.

Your missing out on torque wrench.
It’s an hour and a bit job.

If it gsxr you wheel need the male socket to remove the wheel nut.
Your more than welcome to borrow mine and a front stand if you want.

Also I’ll advice you to clean the calliper piston before you push the calliper as far back as possible and loosen the brake disc off before you remove the wheel unless you’ve got a calliper rewind tool.

The more I read the more I understand this work is be beyond your level of skill. Within this thread there is good advice, bad advice and advice from some who are clearly talking out of their hat. How do you know what’s what? You don’t, so the best advice is that brakes are critical and any failure will be catastrophic, leave it to a competent person regardless of cost. The bottom line is its the cost of motoring and these costs should be spread across the years of ownership.

Take it to an independent garage and specify the work you want doing and what you want doing is a winter clean the calipers, replace front discs, replace front pads, replace brake fluid and if applicable replace clutch fluid.

2 Likes

One of my discs, on my GSXR, was warped enough to fail it’s MOT four years ago. The renowned mechanic (Mick at Essential Rubber) replaced the disc with a genuine identical Suzuki and I have not experienced any issues, always maintains it’s line and passed three subsequent MOTs. Scorch had recently serviced my calipers and pads so everything else was retained, pads and calipers serviced 25k later but discs still okay.

Read into that what you will but if the other disc is worn why not.

Whatever happened to Mick after ER closed?

Fair enough,

The most important bits of information that I needed I got. And that is the mechanic isn’t taking the piss by telling me I need to replace the lot.

Thanks all.