Foxes Pest Control?

As the title says… what can I possibly do to get rid of a Fox I have in my mum’s garden. The damn fox makes crazy noises, buries dead birds and crap and destroys the flowers and causes the dog to go nuts. She now started to dig under the shed and I think she has a 2nd home under there:(, she messed up the garden lights… pain in arse.

Is there any way to get rid of it? Are they protected or are they vermin? Any smells they don’t like?

Any advice is much appreciated.

They are indeed protected, and you face a £1000.00 fine if you injure or kill one. (This is what our local council pest control officer said in January last year).If you find a foolproof way of avoiding this, please pass it on. They are not even frightened of Alsatians now. They are the bane of our lives sometimes with their shrieking. They are lovely animals but I wish they would stay in the countryside.

They are not protected.

I would strongly suggest buying a small electric fence. They are perfectly legal if used within the perimeter of your own land and are designed for animals. http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/. There is even a section for predators on there.

I use one for cats from time to time. A small shock, or just the noise keeps them away. I have to put it up once a year for a few weeks as a reminder. It dramatically keeps the cat poo at bay :smiley:

Couple of years ago I was cleaning up endless cat poo form my lawn (yes cats do poo on the grass). It’s been a godsend for me, if a little bit of a pain when mowing/trimming . . . I have a few knots in the string now.

Extract from net:

Are foxes protected?Foxes are not a protected species. You are liable to prosecution should you do anything which causes cruelty to animals, including foxes. It may be considered to be cruel to shoot, snare, poison or use dogs against foxes.

How up to date is your information?

buy crossbow
shoot fox
dispose of body
???
profit!

They are not listed on here: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/species/default.aspx

http://www.foxproject.org.uk/

Ineffective. Another fox will be along shortly…

My wife found a ded fox in our garden one evening - entrails sprawled. I called council and they said put it in a rubbish bag!! Lot of help council are…

Also had family of foxes a couple of years ago, but they moved on and never seen again. Tried one of those ultrasonic anti-pest plugins? Do they even work?

You could try white pepper spread around the area you want to deter them from, it works for cats around my mates veg patch.

Personally I’d just shoot them.:Whistling:

If you’ve worked out a way to loose off hunting rifles in suburban areas without upsetting anyone or being noticed you must possess some very well silenced ordnance with night vision…

After spending some time on the net found a few ideas, ketchup:) and male pee… so I gotta pee and then put it around the garden at the entry point. What about petrol soaked cloth? Anyone know anything about these?

Was also looking at the ultrasound kits but no idea if they work, the electric fance sounds good http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/ but no idea how much it cost, couldn’t find any details on the website.

Only other thing is to trap them but I heard they are very clever and would probably not work. Cross bow… not sure I have the patience to sit in the garden camping for it (they are not protected and can kill them fast, can’t cause suffering). Them wired traps… they illegal… since they can kill someone’s pet, mainly cats. Haven’t really seen any cats since teh foxes came around.

**Steve here…WASPS husband.(fully certified pestcontroller)…as stated, they are not protected, but I would suggest getting in a proffessional, yes it will cost you money, but it will get the job done humanely, which is where non proffessionals come unstuck with the law, as you state digging under the shed, then this fox is classing the garden as her territory, and will most probably go on to have a litter under there, which equals more digging/distruption etc, I will point out though, any animal that has a terrirory, that is then removed, could well have that area taken over by yet anothor urban fox, weeks or months later

treatment normally consists of a live catch trap being baited and placed in the garden, and left there, anything between days/weeks, once the fox is caught (daily check by customer) the fox is removed from the location and humanely dispatched, job finished

you’ll see lots of products on the market, that will gurantee to rid you of foxes, spend your money on those, or try doing the job yourself and risk runnings with the law, once all that fails, get a proffessional in, Id expect most pesties to quote around £90 depending on location…**

Deterrence (from FoxProject.org)

Most fox ‘nuisance’ experienced by people in urban and suburban areas falls into three categories; digging, fouling and noise.

These are all aspects of natural fox behaviour. Depending on time of year and location, digging may be to establish a breeding earth, a bolt-hole, a route from a to b or simply to locate insect and invertebrate prey.

Fouling, whilst a natural function in itself, is also a means of marking territory. For the same reason a pet dog urinates against every tree it passes, a fox creates ‘signposts’ for the information of other animals, often using dominant features such as drainpipes, wall corners or even garden gnomes!

Because this is part of normal fox territorial behaviour, it is easy to get in on the act by using an artificial ‘scentmark’. This is where a good fox repellent comes in.

A scentmarking contest between two animals usually results in acceptance by each of their dominance or subordinate position in the pecking order. However, where the ‘scentmark’ cannot be identified and contested, an animal may become nervous and choose to avoid the area. In effect, repellents use the animal’s own ammunition against it.

Having extensively tested every repellent on the market, we regard the most effective products as “Scoot” and “Get Off My Garden”. These are safe, proprietary mammal repellents and are available from garden centres and hardware stores.

Get Off My Garden is a general purpose repellent, which may be used at ground level or underground and which can be applied directly onto growing plants. Scoot is effective as a foliage or lawn spray where fouling or digging is taking place.

Not all methods of deterrence involve chemicals. During experiments carried out in association with Greenwich University, we found ultrasonic devices broadly ineffective, but found a water driven gadget, called “Scarecrow”, very effective.

The level of advice that can be provided without on site viewing carries no guarantee of success, because all situations are unique and consultants can no more solve your problem by 'phone or email than a plumber can fix your pipes by telepathy.

General, concise DIY advice may be obtained from our Fox Deterrence Helpline. For more specific, comprehensive information, we have published a book entitled “Unearthing the Urban Fox” (available from our Shop). For those who prefer professional on-site service - or a postal analysis - we recommend a highly experienced and very effective wildlife consultancy called Humane Urban Wildlife Deterrence (click here to go to their website). But why deterrence? Why can’t the council simply take the foxes away?

Foxes are not and never have been classified as ‘vermin’, so local authorities have no legal obligation to act against them. They also know there is little point. Private "pest controllers’ who offer such a service omit to inform you there is no such thing as a vacant territory. Remove one fox and another will take over the territory within weeks.

Removal or destruction of foxes is, at best, an expensive confidence trick and at worst, an act of cruelty. Fox populations are self regulating. They cannot over-populate but will always breed back to replace numbers lost since the previous breeding season. In fact, far from any increase in fox numbers, evidence in many areas, notably the south east, is that fox numbers are up to 15% fewer than they were in 1998.

If you want to get your own way with foxes, forget about old fashioned ‘pest control’. Deterrence is cheaper, more effective and more humane.

For more information on fox deterrence call our Fox Deterrence Helpline on 01892 826222.

wasp’s hubby again;
“get off my garden/scoot” works well, untill it rains, then you need to add more, constantly buying bottles of the stuff,

as for quote;
Private "pest controllers’ who offer such a service omit to inform you there is no such thing as a vacant territory. Remove one fox and another will take over the territory within weeks

Im sure I did comment on that point in my last post, so that blows that one out of the water:P

Local councils may or may not carry out a cull on the fox population. My local council (Bexley) used to, but stopped years ago for cost vs effictivness reasons.

They used to trap them, then dispatch them with a high power air rifle.

Yep, good old british weather defeating the best laid plans…

Making the point that what sounds like a good “quick fix” (dispatching it) won’t do the trick for very long.

And as a scrupulous pest controller I’m sure you would warn people about fox populations’ tendency to reach and stay at natural limits - but like any group of businesses no doubt there are gooduns and baduns if you just choose someone out of the local telephone directory. Is there some sort of “guild” if you choose this route?

Given that statistically about 50% of the little blighters get run over every year and still the population stays in balance you’re into a little battle of wits to keep it off your turf (or any others that take over the territory). But not necessarily an expensive battle of wits.

@ previous posters
A petrol soaked rag would not be effective (fast evaporation), but dragging a diesel soaked rag around an area you want free of animals can work temporarily. Dunno what your dog would make of it though.

http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Battery_Powered_Kits.html

£129

Have to admit, I didn’t appreciate it would cost that much! Mine takes two fat round re-chargable batteries, fortunatly, I inherited it. Then again, you have got it forever to use at your leisure.

I’d not bother with these relativly expensive ‘get off’ products, I tried a couple and neither worked (despite topping up regularly), it was just a waste of good money.

I don’t know exactly how that stuff works, but surely you could get it into some rain-protected container? I’d have thought a tray of soil with it in and a ‘roof’ over it would keep the bulk of the rain off it and still smell right (or perhaps wrong) to the fox?