For those of you born before 1986

At least most surveys have a 35-44 age bracket

being a little bit older I even rember listerning to the home service, Radio Luxenburg and the first days of radio one. Remember the first Colour telly which my grandad got from radio rentals when there were only 3 channels(Only 2 when i first started watching TV on the old black and white) . The intermission between Childrens Tv and the adult programs. The test card at all other times. No GMTV or 24 hour telly. And at the end of transmission if you were up that late(usually about 11 O’clock) the national anthem being played before shutdown.

H

ha ha wasn’t that good the national anthem then the shutdown, wayhay

I knew I was a grown up when I was allowed to stay up late enough to see the test card.

Those were the days.

Blimey Chuff… Those are so true… Grifter bikes and The Red Hand Gang…
Jumpers as goalposts… MMMmm… Small boys playing in the park… Those were the days…

I can remember Willow the Wisp being shown at 5.55pm just before the news and the test card being on really early on a Sunday morning. Heck, I feel old!

whatever happened to the girl that was on the test card? did she move on to fame and fortune?

or drink and drugs???

If you remember the series ‘Whatever happened to…’ on ITV a couple of years ago, they featured this girl but I can’t remember how she ended up.

I can tell you that Zammo from Grange Hill owns and runs a cobblers in Sutton as I’ve seen him in there. That’s my only claim to fame!

Yeah Have some respect…Sam, ye cheeky wee git

theres a whole lot of experience wrapped up in getting to 40!
And determination, comitment etc,etc

So respect…ye horrible big hooligan!LOL

Guilty!

I even used to have a Raleigh Chopper 3-spd when they first came out. I was the only kid in the village who had a speedo. So when I fell off going down a hill because the front wheel’s too small and gets unstable with speed. I knew I was doing 40MPH when I hit the deck! In shorts.

We didn’t know what safety equipment was in those days.

Used to listen to Radio Luxembourg with a tranny (and not that sort of tranny) under my pillow.

In those days they used to advertise the fact that the kit used transistors!

Damn I’m old!

My brother had one of the early Choppers, didnt get one myself after seeing how many times he went over the handlebars when the clamp holding them on came loose. Had a Rayleigh Oylmpus 5 gear racing bike. Much better at speed than the chopper. But then he got all the girls and all I got were strong legs.

Didnt have a tranny, we had an old valve radiogram which took ages to warm up before you got a peep out of it.

H

" We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

They’ll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five. "

OOOOh so true, all of it!!! i had a raliegh chopper, purple one with orange, i think, lettering on it, its still in my parents garage and fire storm: Willow the Whisp!!! That was a Wicked cartoon!! evil edna

chuffster, you’ve made me feel as old as i am

another thing: what about zx spectrums where u had to load the game by playing a cassette tape? frogger anyone?

Hi Pixie. I don’t believe you are as old as you make out! :wink:

You know your Chopper is probably worth a fortune on eBay now!

Happy Days !!

Here’s a story of yester-year, see if you can place it in time.

Me, my mate and accursed (at the time) younger brother playing Action Men (so it was some time ago, let’s get that straight LOL ) in the street.

I’ve got the upper hand, in fact realistic gripping hands on my two new Action Men, whereas my mate (playing the enemy) had more figures but only one with gripping hands.

For those non-Action Men familiar souls (poor lost creatures you are) without gripping hands your bloke would drop his rifle everytime he was moved or displaced in some manner. Which renders them rubbish.

My advantage was further enhanced by my new Scorpion tank, complete with revolving turret and elevating gun. “Take that, you commie swine” I would shout, along with other Commando-book phrases I had memorised.

So there’s me and Rod, engaged in the Gosforth equivalent of the Battle of the Bulge with the street between our house littered with the detritus of battle, when my younger and infinitely grumpy younger brother decides he wants a piece of the action.

Now, I love my brother dearly, esp now he’s seen the light and got a 'ped, but back then it was different. He always wanted to tag on to my games and would always end up in tears. This turned out to be no different.

Upon first being refused entry to the game, and then being laughed at for bringing his Action Men in astronaut costumes (I mean, no camouflage!) he picked up a huge lump of stone from the garden, and threw at my prize and joy, my sole Action Man transport, the key to my success breaching of the enemies fortified positions, MY BL00DY TANK!

Clean smashed the (clearly too) brittle turret into pieces and with it my chances of winning this and future battles - until Xmas when the battalion waould doubtless be brought back up to strength.

Filled with a fury and sense of righteousness that only a slighted 12ish year old can have, I brayed him one.

Needless to say, the ensuing screams brought my Mother out who rather rashly (but I suppose understandably on seeing poor Steve writhing on the ground) decided it was all my fault. And uttered the words that, to this day, strike terror… “Wait 'till your Father gets home”.

Straight to my room was sent, to the kitchen for Steve to have medical treatment that I’m sure involved eating chocolate (ah the days when all ills could be cured that way ), with the threat to horrible to mention now.

When Dad arrived, boy was I scared, and I got a rollocking that left me 2 inches high and generally sick of the injustices of having a younger brother with a big gob and bad temper.

The real punishment, the ‘punchline’ if you will : I couldn’t stay up to watch what was the Starsky and Hutch film that was the pilot for the series. I had to wait years to see it for the first time.

Ah sweet memories. And I’ll save the Meccano / Abba on Eurovision story for another time…