Fitting a quickshifter

I’m not sure I’d want to be the one telling this guy the bad news

Image may contain: text

Measure once, drill once?

I’m thinking he did that himself.

Hows there not enough adjustment to compensate for that or is there something behind the frame preventing the bolt from being fitted there? Either way you’d expect the fitting instructions to cover it, did she even read the fitting instructions?

Some people shouldn’t be allowed motorbikes:)

Not really being au fait with the workings of a quick shifter, I had a quick google and the first result I found uses that picture as an illustration

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/32194/how-does-a-quick-shifter-work-in-a-motorcycle

You are suppose to take off your original gear link rod and replace it with the one with the quickshifter on…

Some people shouldn't be allowed near spanners tools  :) commuter-boy

fixed

You are suppose to take off your original gear link rod and replace it with the one with the quickshifter on.. commuter-boy
So presumably the quckshifter link rod is rigid and the guy won't actually be able to get out of neutral?

No, that quick shifter linkage is telescopic and activates sensors inside that cut the ignition and/or fuel systems as the original gear shift linkage moves the effect is to reduce the load on the gear shaft enabling a full throttle no clutch quick as you like gear shift. Its the same as quickly throttling off and making a clutch free gear change except the quick shifter sensors are linked to the ignition and/or fuel systems and do all that for you in less than a blink of the eye.

Note there are two different configurations for quick shifters depending on original gear linkage and/or quick shifter

1. Shift rod type where the quick shifter rod replaces the original link rod.

2. Linear rod type where the quick shifter is fitted as an additional rod, the type in me_groovy’s picture

the one in the picture is supposed to replace your original linkage ,and yes they work off pressure applied when you shift ,that one is gonna cause all sorts of problems ,not to mention thats probably a cat c bike now the frame has been drilled.

i have never seen a linear one that acts as an additional  rod???

They can be fitted either way. Although I’m with you and would question why, in this instance, its been done that way. The additional rod fitting method is for when it is not possible to fit the quick shifter within the original gear linkage, for example where the original gear linkage is too short to accommodate the quick shifter.

...i have never seen a linear one that acts as an additional  rod???????????

commuter-boy
Just for you 2:28