First Bike On Scene Course for LB

Following the recent success of LBs Bikesafe course I have arranged 20 places on Sunday 25th November 07 for the FBOS course.

Course starts at 9.15am

This is run by the Oxfordshire Ambulance NHS Trust.

Address of course is at

OXFORDSHIRE AMBULANCE NHS TRUST

CHURCHILL DRIVE

HEADINGTON

OXFORD

OX3 7LH

Cost for the day is only £35.00 :smiley:

This includes a small donation to our chosen charity the LAA. :cool:

First come first served - payment in full is required to confirm your place.

No buy now pay later option :wink:

The course lasts for 8 hours & you will be awarded with a certificate valid for a year stating that an ambulance instructor has signed you off as competent.

Course Contents

Introduction and administration.

Trauma and the mechanism of injury.

Protecting the scene and snatch rescue.

Introduction to basic life support.

Lunch (Bring your own or use surrounding shops)

Basic life support practical.

Spinal management.

Removal of helmet.

Course closure.

Courses are delivered by paramedics and ambulance staff, many of them are bikers themselves.

People are encouraged to turn up on their bikes including leathers.

This course does not focus on elements like dressing small wounds or applying plasters instead it deals with the types of life threatening trauma that can be encountered with motorcycle accidents.

I think you will all agree this course could be invaluable although we hope we never need to use it.

Please let me know if you are interested, once you have paid I will add you to the list. :slight_smile:

NAMES OF PEOPLE BOOKED ON COURSE

1. GINGER 1 2. GSXRANG1 3. MARK (GSXRANG’S OTHER HALF)1 4. DEBZ1

5.GRIMBUSA1 6. YSLART1 7. BENNELLI BOY1 8. MRS BENELLI BOY1

9. KETI1 10. SHEWOLF1 11. TOBY 1 KENOBI1 12. UBER1 13. MOLE1 14.DEREK1

NAMES OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO DO THE COURSE BUT IM AWAITING PAYMENT FOR UNTIL THEN THESE PEOPLE WILL STAY BELOW ONCE PAYMENT RECIEVED THEY WILL MOVE UP

Ginger I’m a defo + Mark, let me know where to pay.

Grim & I are too :smiley: Just need to pay :wink:

PM sent to both of you

me too Ginge

PM sent to you

I thoroughly recommend this course - hopefully one will never have to use the skills, but if anything ever happened where you were the first on scene it’ll give you the confidence to at least do something.

It’s also one of the pre-requisites for being a Unity Support Rider, so the sooner it’s under your belt the better!

Jackie and I are very keen to update our trauma skills, especially as we have witnessed three bike accidents in the last year involving injury where we have assisted. Is there any reason why this could not have been organised to be actually in or near London?

It is only 50 miles from the Ace Cafe, just a short ride or drive :wink:

Julian, if you want one in London, pay the extra to get the Oxford guys (who seem to be the only accredited team darn sarf) to do it in your living-room, or other place you deem suitable. Oxford’s not far FFS.

Thank-you Ginger for doing ‘Good Things’.

I’d like to do this course, sounds a great idea.

PM sent to you

Really want to do this course but going to be in Australia on that date - gutted. I’m defo up for it another time though. :slight_smile:

pm sent to you

I’d like to do this, please. So would Mrs BB if that’s OK. Could you let us know where to pay please?

Thanks for organising it.

ooh id like to get my name down for this!

I was just trying to understand why it is necessary to go to Oxford - only 2h26m from SW London according to my satnav unless I go the whole way by motorway when it is only 1h17m assuming the M25 is sane. I am just very surprised that there is no appropriate training available in one of the world’s largest cities and am trying to understand why. I am in no way knocking anyone for organising this, I know how difficult organising things can be, but it seems incredible that this sort of training is not available in London - I know- I have been looking for nearly a year for someone who does it. I just hoped that someone in LB had better contacts than I.

BTW Jim - my living room is just not big enough! :slight_smile:

It is available here within the M25 - I did mine at the PolHill Arms (by the Oxford guys, one of whom lived at Swindon), and that was a 1hr 10min journey for me to furthest SE London. Oxford is just under 55mins for me, I imagine 1hr 15mins for you. That’s what it used to take me 35 years ago in an aged VW Beetle from Cheam, pre many of the M-ways.Suppose there was a course in Barnet, how long would that take you? Oxford may be further away, but it’s pretty quick, easy and hassle free to get to. I’d guess for you the route would be get onto the A308 to the M25, M40 thereafter for the quick route there. There are some brilliant roads back if you so chose.

Good excuse for a ride out though? :smiley:

An alternative biking website nearer to a beauty spot south west of London recently had one, and by all accounts it was very good. Sadly I’m a bit stuffed for getting out and about at the mo so can’t come along but would love to, :frowning: