Filtering !

@Wise I am with you on this.  I ride in a similar manner.  I only filter when I feel it is reasonably save or believe I can get myself out of trouble.

My least favourite filtering is on the A12 when traffic is moving at about 10-20mph, as this seems to be when people decided to jump lanes without looking.

when traffic is moving at about 10-20mph,
Redwez
this is my least favourite time sometimes ill carry on filtering & sometimes ill go along with the flow

it all depends on my mood , weather condition’s & if im busting for a piss  

when traffic is moving at about 10-20mph, Redwez
this is my least favourite time sometimes ill carry on filtering & sometimes ill go along with the flow
it all depends on my mood , weather condition's & if im busting for a piss  
Wise
Yep, im the same...although mostly I filter.

What time do you travel in?

I filter 90% of the time commuting to/from work, the other 10% traffic is progressing just fine that i relax.

As a (persrnal) rule i dont give way to scooters with L plates and let motorcyclists overtake me if they catch up to me fairly fast. Though safety always comes first, and if i pull into lane to let others pass i only do so when i feel comfortable doing so.

I am to get to gallows corner for 7am

We must pass each other very often!
I get on at the Mawney Road junction at about 7-7:10 most mornings.
Then usually on A12 at hackney at around 6:30 in evenings

My least favourite filtering is on the A12 when traffic is moving at about 10-20mph, as this seems to be when people decided to jump lanes without looking.
Absolutely. Once the metal boxes are moving, I will take my lane and hold position. 

Once they are stationary, I will filter - otherwise I would drive my car.

whe i did my advanced riding training my observer always told me that if i ever have an accident it will be while commuting in london :slight_smile:

^ prophecy or threat?

[quote]

I am to get to gallows corner for 7am

Wise
[/quote]

We must pass each other very often!
I get on at the Mawney Road junction at about 7-7:10 most mornings.
Then usually on A12 at hackney at around 6:30 in evenings

Redwez
I don't go home that way I do the M11-M25-A12

or off the M11 at the Loughton turnoff & through the lanes to CHM 

The wife recently got a scooter but has now decided not to use it so I often now take that in to work from SE London to Canary Wharf instead of the bike. My general approach is to stay with the traffic as it travels near the speed limit. Then take advantage at any red light queues to go to the front by filtering. I find that this means I manage to a) save a lot of time b) get ahead of the traffic at junctions and c) minimise risk to the extent it is possible. 

Talking of filtering, I was passed by a rizla gsxr1k last night near Eltham, he was in a hurry :joy::fearful:

I go from SW18 into central and out to W4 at 7am. Mostly filtering, including on the A4. My general rule is if the traffic is doing 25mph and there’s no bus lane then I’ll stick with it and filter at red lights. Anything below 25mph and I’m going past to ride at 30. Technically I think if the traffic is moving at all above 5-10mph then it’s not filtering, it’s just overtaking. 

IMO the whole point of the bike is to make good progress and you’re judged on that when you take your test, so I don’t really see the point of sitting in traffic at 15mph. Unless you ride a BMW and just can’t fit …

As others have said, I used to be much more cautious, but I got more confident and also realised that most London road users will leave plenty of room for bikes when they know they’re there. However, when I tried it in my hometown up in Lincolnshire I was beeped at furiously and literally aimed for by oncoming traffic while filtering.

I go from SW18 into central and out to W4 at 7am. Mostly filtering, including on the A4. My general rule is if the traffic is doing 25mph and there's no bus lane then I'll stick with it and filter at red lights. Anything below 25mph and I'm going past to ride at 30. Technically I think if the traffic is moving at all above 5-10mph then it's not filtering, it's just overtaking. 
IMO the whole point of the bike is to make good progress and you're judged on that when you take your test, so I don't really see the point of sitting in traffic at 15mph. Unless you ride a BMW and just can't fit ...
As others have said, I used to be much more cautious, but I got more confident and also realised that most London road users will leave plenty of room for bikes when they know they're there. However, when I tried it in my hometown up in Lincolnshire I was beeped at furiously and literally aimed for by oncoming traffic while filtering.
AlexT
kind police officer told me you can filter up to the speed limit of the road your on

but if they see you doing it they would try to stick another violation on you for being stupid

they consider up to 20mph to be the limit

However, when I tried it in my hometown up in Lincolnshire I was beeped at furiously and literally aimed for by oncoming traffic while filtering.
AlexT
I've get that around twickham sometimes; had one swerve at me because 200m previously i was filtering. One of the DVD's I watched whilst learning was about motorcycle skills (it came in the twin pack with the Bike highway code stuff) and in that the instructor overtakes a car in a safe manner; the car panics and breaks. The instructor says; the car has done that because of their own misreading of the situation and not because the overtake was dangerous. Either way I remember that statement when doing what seem perfectly safe overtakes and other drivers behave weirdly....

I have; ahem; done some ‘filtering’ at higher speeds than 30, but only wide roads with large safety gaps; i.e going passed staggered traffic which by the highway code should all be in the left lane etc. I don’t think anything I do is to risky, but then i’d think that because i’m the one doing it.

This guy has got some filtering skills 

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5fb_1489125378

watch until the end.