Filtering !

Despite saying to myself, the bike is for leisure, the train to work, I have lately been taking the motorcycle to work. That’s from West London to Whitechapel, general route is A40 through Marlylebone, Euston , Kings Cross, down Commercial Street.

Now, I filter when traffic is slow/standstill and try to get to the front at traffic lights, however, what I’m noticing is EVERYONE diving in and out at around or above the speed limit. I don;t see the point as you can use the bus lanes on my journey at all times, plus it’s so dangerous , certainly from what I’ve seen.

What are your thoughts on this?

Filtering is an accident waiting to happen, only you can decide what is right for you and what you’re comfortable with.

Filtering is an accident waiting to happen, only you can decide what is right for you and what you're comfortable with.
National Treasure
+1 - I see people and think wow that was stupid.

equally no doubt people have said the same about me but if I feel happy with it, I’ll progress.

If traffic is moving at the speed limit then I don’t think you can really call it filtering.

Ultimately, deciding to get on the bike in the first place is considered too dangerous by some, the rest of us have a sliding scale of acceptable risks. There’s no obvious dividing line between sensible and stupid but you do see (and maybe even occasionally carry out) some manoeuvres that are definitely laving a lot to chance.

I only filter if I can see a large gap ahead and with oncoming traffic leaving a wide birth. Otherwise I’ll just wait behind.

If I was cycling however I’d take far more calculated risks and tighter gaps.

Nothing wrong with being slow.
ALAs you move the fuck out the way of people wanting to make progress.

I don’t understand the rush, I leave in plenty time, a journey by train takes 1hr 10mins on ave, by car takes longer, by motorcycle …33-41 mins at speed limits and sensible filtering . That journey includes the zone where brain dead drivers inhabit, Kings Cross, Old Street, Commercial Street, Whitechapel High Road. So (for me) it can be quite full on, which is even more reason to exercise caution I would’ve thought.

I don't understand the rush, I leave in plenty time ...KalsiKwack
+1

There’s really nothing more to add to that.

I don't understand the rush, I leave in plenty time, a journey by train takes 1hr 10mins on ave, by car takes longer, by motorcycle ....33-41 mins at speed limits and sensible filtering . That journey includes the zone where brain dead drivers inhabit, Kings Cross, Old Street, Commercial Street, Whitechapel High Road. So (for me) it can be quite full on, which is even more reason to exercise caution I would've thought.
KalsiKwack
Sounds like you are happy with your ride, which is great.  I wouldn't worry about others tbh.   If they are riding above their ability or recklessly, their day will come.  Hopefully it won't cost them more than a few scratches on the side of their bike.  

As I don’t recognise the bike and helmet I’m going to assume we head through there at different times of the morning… That is unless you’re talking specifically about some twat on a grey CBR650F. In which case, I’ll tone it down :smiley:

Nothing wrong with being slow. ALAs you move the fuck out the way of people wanting to make progress. silveR6
Well quite! I wouldn't have put it as "passionately" as Alba but it's spot on.  We all have different abilities, levels of experience and perception of risk (and attitude to risk if one goes that far!).  Five or six years ago if I'd seen how I ride today I would have probably thought, what's the point?  However, 5-6 years on I don't feel that I am putting myself at risk at all, my experience and confidence have grown and I that means I make better progress, see more options and sometime will take one, especially if there is someone who feels that they are progressing at a suitable pace and therefore everyone else should follow nicely behind them.  BTW I don't know you so I am not suggesting you do this but there are plenty of people who do.  Personally, I operate on the policy that if someone has caught up with me they deserve to go on ahead so I pull over as soon as possible and let them through. 

I’m aware of what is behind me, though my shitty er6f mirrors do their best to blank out everything.  No one has been caught behind me yet, so it must be that I am some of filter king ;-).  Basically in town I stick to speed limits, and obviously out of town, ahem.

I thought like that when l started commuting. After a while you may speed up and make use of more progressive opportunities that you wouldn’t have before. Then those new to commuting may say the same about you. Only saying mind.

As I don't recognise the bike and helmet I'm going to assume we head through there at different times of the morning... That is unless you're talking specifically about some twat on a grey CBR650F. In which case, I'll tone it down :D
TimmyFox
Not singling out anyone! Though I suppose there will be beady eyes peering at me thinking "is it him?" I'm wearing a Shark S600 (white) currently, I'm too precious with my Arai!

Yea if you see a yellow R6 on your route be sure the rider has plenty of time. He just enjoys the filtering.
It’s when I slow down that it becomes dangerous as I tend to lose concentration. Love trying to anticipate what the car drivers are doing. Usually arrive for work at least 1/2 an hour early.

It’s a motorbike

Yea if you see a yellow R6 on your route be sure the rider has plenty of time. He just enjoys the filtering. It's when I slow down that it becomes dangerous as I tend to lose concentration. Love trying to anticipate what the car drivers are doing. Usually arrive for work at least 1/2 an hour early. Changyammi
Since using the motorbike, I've been arriving 40-60 mins early without trying. I stop for breakfast now. If I leave later the journey is more of a headache. Today's journey had more traffic than usual, longer queue on the Westway heading east than usual. Got to the front of that, bus laned it, then the usual driver shenanigans around Kings Cross to Whitechapel.

Personally, I dont see the point in having the bike for commuting into London if you arent going to filter.

But I accept that others may not be comfortable, and choose not to.

Agree, hence I do, my original question was when to do it. Or what’s the ‘etiquette’. Last night, a scooter rider was weaving in and out of everything along the Westway right up to East Acton by the Home Base. He overtook me doing this, but as the traffic slowed down I filtered through and lo-behold I was ahead without any effort. 

What he was doing was undertaking/overtaking at the speed limit and over, I was filtering, correct?

Agree, hence I do, my original question was when to do it. Or what's the 'etiquette'. Last night, a scooter rider was weaving in and out of everything along the Westway right up to East Acton by the Home Base. He overtook me doing this, but as the traffic slowed down I filtered through and lo-behold I was ahead without any effort. 
What he was doing was undertaking/overtaking at the speed limit and over, I was filtering, correct? KalsiKwack

Etiquette went out of the window years ago ask any scooter nobber

There is a big difference between filtering and just speeding between cars

I filter a lot from gallows corner into London

& sometimes on my way home ill cut in late onto the A406/M11 from the A12

what I cant be arsed to do is try to race between traffic lights

I sometimes get a fair lick on if im with someone I know.

I leave with plenty of time to get to work to much in fact but I like to site down get changed and have a coffee