FAO Wildboy

That was Castle Acre ford where I got stuck half way across, a little fish tailing of the rear end got me on my way again. There’s a steamy engine at the end of Andy Crowther’s video after we crossed Eynsford ford in 2012

Here’s the same Eynsford ford in flood, note the swelled water margins, from when we crossed it on Boxing Day 2013

Attachments

the motorcycles still run after going through that? Did you not have to clean or check it at least?
CBR500R commuter
Check for what? If too much water gets in the engine, and as little as 30 ml could be too much, it will most likely suffer from an unmistakable condition known as hydrostatic lock. You couldn't fail to miss that.

I did find some pitted lobes on the inlet camshaft at the 24,000 mile service. The pitting was most likely caused by ford water emulsifying with the engine oil causing an inefficiency in the oils ability to cool the engine. The engine oil came out looking more like milky coffee a sure sign of water ingress from somewhere and since the Bonne’ was air cooled I could rule out a coolant leak. Seeing as the oil, the most likely cause of the pitting, was changed no further action was taken. I removed the camshafts for the purpose of re-shimming the valves. The pitting didn’t seem to get any worse over the next 16,000 miles when I bumped into Eve Bateman and the Bonne’ became history.

Attachments