External hard drive auto backup

wow that’s pricey for what it is… i guess your are mainly paying for the 360 functionality.

so a similar spec laptop without the 360 mode would be a lot cheaper
for example:

also wait for black friday

What is she studying? That is pretty fancy just for essay writing.

Dell have a discount for students once they get their academic email address

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-advantage/cp/students?~ck=mn

A £500 Dell should be more than enough for academic work. If you know someone in IT who can get you an ex industry Dell XPS that could be even better. They are much stronger than consumer models. I’ve seen them be neglected, dropped and even punched by sales idiots and they still worked.

Can’t see if that has a pen to write on the screen. She wants to over write lecture slides with her notes. If they move back to face to face teaching this may be redundant.

1 Like

No it doesn’t… would a good tablet with pen support be better for note taking?

Or rather a better cheaper laptop will leave money left over for a good tablet for note taking

She’s doing medicine, has a standard Dell already but complains that it barely copes. Probably BS but I get that lots of students listen to the lecture on one device and write notes on the screen over the slides on a second device.

You guys are being very helpful.

1 Like

I have an old work XPS I converted to Chromebook! Works great

Hardware wise there aren’t really any wrong or right answers. The entry level iPad works great with a pen, that plus a decent laptop (that doesn’t cost a premium for folding 360) could be a good solution.

The one she’s picked out is pretty fancy. It’s the Fireblade when a Hornet would do the job.

2 Likes

I’ve been a Mac user since 1991 but have been avoiding iCloud Drive. I remember all the various iterations: iTools; Dot Mac; etc, it’s always been a bit clunky and I’ve never trusted it.

My daughter’s school is on Google Classroom and she gets a Google Drive account with it. It just works.

2 Likes

I’m looking at this at the moment. I’ve been an Evernote user for the last ten years and in common with most of their user base I absolutely hate V10 which has depreciated many key features. I’ve rolled back to V7.14.1, which will do me for the moment, but the long term outlook for Evernote doesn’t look good.

have a look at google Keep. https://keep.google.com/u/0/
being a google product it intergrates with everything google : gmail, calendar, assistant (you can add note via voice commands)
and has some other cool stuff as well
https://www.blog.google/products/g-suite/8-tips-help-you-keep-google-keep/

Thanks. I had a look. Cool, simple and free - but unfortunately it doesn’t import XML files (which Evernote exports). I have a few thousand notes, many of which I don’t want to archive and forget, I want access to them.

1 Like

The Spectre 360’s are actually excellent and equivalent in grade to the business class elitebooks of about the same price. I’m getting one next time my upgrade is due at work.

nope, not sure how that would work as Keep is meant to be simple.

Ah, maybe not Keep but it looks like there is a way to save them to Google Docs. I might try this.

Apologies to Howard for derailing his thread!

1 Like

Not at all! My pleasure :grin:

1 Like