Exhausts and MOTs

If you get an end can that says “not for road use”, do the MOT testers actually know that it’s not for road use and fail you, or is it one of those things that you get away with like de-cat pipes etc.?

unless its stupidly loud 

some testers just ignore them & other testers will do an advisory. 

Oh just an advisory? I can live with that.

If it comes with a baffle, take the baffle with you and let the tester know. My old CB500 failed an MOT because of the excessively loud exhaust so they fitted the baffle and then passed it and wrote this on the report. It was also noted that it was extremely loud for a motorcycle of this type. So still passed but they had their paperwork covered. I took the baffle out when I got home. I was a bit of a child with that bike though and liked making lots of noise.

I’m just looking at cans for the Gixxer and the ones I like the look of most tend to be race cans (with baffles in some cases). Not that the stock unit doesn’t sound nice, it’s just massive ornament to be lugging around.

Either get a dremel and take off the Not word or find a mot tester that is normal.
There is a tester in Clapham that will find that wording and fail the bike.
Also make sure you’ve got a normal size plate on, that seems more and more a problem for testers especially if they’ve had a visit from the suits to tell them off recently.
As for the noise, depends on the tester some love it, some give advisorys.

I'm just looking at cans for the Gixxer and the ones I like the look of most tend to be race cans (with baffles in some cases). Not that the stock unit doesn't sound nice, it's just massive ornament to be lugging around.
AlexT
mine used to pass with a racefit & no baffle 

just don’t rev the bike when pulling up to the MOT station 

I'm just looking at cans for the Gixxer and the ones I like the look of most tend to be race cans (with baffles in some cases). Not that the stock unit doesn't sound nice, it's just massive ornament to be lugging around. AlexT
mine used to pass with a racefit & no baffle 
just don't rev the bike when pulling up to the MOT station 
Wise
Coincidentally it's a Racefit exhaust I looked at today which prompted my question.

I'm just looking at cans for the Gixxer and the ones I like the look of most tend to be race cans (with baffles in some cases). Not that the stock unit doesn't sound nice, it's just massive ornament to be lugging around. AlexT
mine used to pass with a racefit & no baffle  just don't rev the bike when pulling up to the MOT station  Wise
Coincidentally it's a Racefit exhaust I looked at today which prompted my question. AlexT

both Racefit & AR exhausts are painfully loud, they are ok for short runs but after a while they became a pain

I had to take mine off when I was commuting  

If it’s a gixxer, it’s a failure regardless :grin:

#1 rule of racefit exhausts; you’ll sell it within 6 months of ownership because it’s  too loud. 100% of the people I know who bought one did this. 

Or get better plugs. That’s what I did.

As a result I’m now always the tail gunner :frowning:

1 Like

That’s false. I’ve had mine for 2 years and you know me:yum:

how long was it off the road for though? :stuck_out_tongue:

Those Racefit exhausts look like link pipes with a bit of extra decoration around the end.

The MoT testing info specifically says that a ‘not for road use’ mark is a fail so it depends whether A) it’s stupidly loud and b) whether your tester had lumpy porridge that morning.

I’ve had a lumpy porridge tester before :frowning:

That must have been gruelling!

1 Like

interestingly just tonight a guy asked me at the lights if i had issues with my exhaust (yep its loud)
apparently the rules have changes and MOTs are stricter?

The rules and the outcomes of the mot have changed… for exampleif a vehicle is declared dangerous, you cannot drive it away. have to have a recovery vehicle take it away. Whether they are stricter depends on the mot tester. The one my mechanic takes my bike to is quite lenient when it comes to exhausts and plates and that kind of stuff…