Ex police bikes, a good idea or not?

Hi Guys, seen this vfr I like the price on: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300635842153

but ex police bikes, ridden hard but well looked after. is it a false economy?

Use the search button :slight_smile:

If it’s a bike, and you’re looking at buying it, it’s almost certainly a bad idea :smiley:

Yeah better to have someone buy it for you… that might break the ‘karma’

Am I right in thinking he’s now killed the ZX-9R? He only got this year, didn’t he? :stuck_out_tongue:

The advantage of any ex-police vehicle, I would guess, is not only will it have been properly serviced and repaired, where necessary, but it will also have been used with mechanical sympathy. The class 1 drivers/riders pride them self in this. However, this still won’t compensate for general wear and tear through aging. If you’re going to buy one, look at it like any other purchase.

Within about 2 weeks…

How on earth did he do it this time?

Plus the fazer on its last legs

The mountain air on the IoM killed it…

it was 3 months! the poor girl did 3000 miles in 4 days in France admirably. then I took her to the IOM and the con-rod punched a hole in the engine casing :frowning:

Personal opinion from my experience, no.

Was advised to forget/go home by a mechanic at the Kent CC garages, so I bought an ex Met. Police one at auction a few weeks later.

Engine was as sweet as you could want. Running gear so knackered I’m surprised they didn’t put it out to grass a year or so earlier. Sorted out the major issues, got a new MoT (a lot easier then) and sold it for just about what it stood me in for. Sometimes a small god smiles on you.

Total ownership time: About a month.
Riding time: A few hours.
Work on the beast: Lots. And that was just to sell the thing.

Says the mileage is 50,830…but owned by the police until 49k. Hmm…beginning to sound like what oldguy has recounted.

I wouldn’t expect a VFR to be past it at that mileage…my ZX-6R has done more than that. :stuck_out_tongue: