ER WHAT NOW

ok so I’m a little behind the times here on the LB been a few weeks but what has happened!!

I’m sure this has already been posted but, honestly I’m not liking this forum, so bland and tbh unusable!

Hey. We relaunched as things were getting old and starting to fall apart. Things are light at the moment but there’s a lot on the way in development. More info here:

https://londonbikers.com/forums/posts/1044370/welcome-to-the-new-lb-site

yep, you nailed it, posted ages ago! :slight_smile:

you’ll get used to it. plus its early days, check out Jays threads about development and coming updates, it explains all.

oh, and your post proves you can use it :wink:

Mate long time how’s it been?

I’ve been on the site for almost as long as it has been around, I liked the old style it was different and gave you exactly what you wanted and I of all people appreciate the need to move forward as I work in IT adaption is the name of the game in my job…

To be brutal there is lite, and there is what this is now! I sit here debating whether I should stay I’m that shocked by how poor it is…

Surely this should have been fully road tested before going live? (I’m sure to a point it was)
I don’t want to s**t on anyone’s feelings here but wow!

I needed to PM another LBer how do I do that now?

Your post suits your nick :smiley:

Yes you are not the only one missing bits and pieces and who doesn’t like new forum etc.

https://londonbikers.com/forums/posts/1044433/upcoming-feature-list);
https://londonbikers.com/forums/posts/1044370/welcome-to-the-new-lb-site?p=3

To be brutal there is lite, and there is what this is now! I sit here debating whether I should stay I’m that shocked by how poor it is…

I guess that depends on whether the community or the software is more important to you. Personally, I prefer this now, since it’s lost all the frippery that forums accumulate (like massive signatures and weird post-loading javascript changes) and it’s just the people and the posts. But I still use mailing lists…

Surely this should have been fully road tested before going live? (I’m sure to a point it was)

That was the idea, but development on this got delayed and then the hosting contract on the old site was up for expiry, and Jay figured that switching to this would be less disruptive than trying to migrate the old forum across and working out all the little bodges of the last many years.

I needed to PM another LBer how do I do that now?

You can’t.

I’m sure the site will get back to its former Glory soon enough, it’s a bit of a pain that some of the Functions are missing, but hopefully it won’t be for long.

The Sleeper, there’s some missing features but the basics of posting are here. As the guys have said the missing features and some all new ones are in development and we’re drip-feeding them in asap. Please bear with us.

The Sleeper. Please be easy on Jay. As none of us have paid for this, we’re entitled to nothing. I’m grateful for the use of the site I’ve had, and what is still available. It is functioning, and there are still things being developed/updated, which will be commissed later.

I have to say that I had the same thoughts as you Sleeper, but it has grown on me. At the moment, yes it is minimal, but it is slick, quick, and giving cryptic error messages when posting. It works on mobile devices now, and it is a superb foundation on which to rebuild the site.

Yeah, I’d like to see avatars and my long-standing wish for rideouts to have dates on them, but otherwise I’m pretty happy with this as-is now. It’s a weird and sudden shock, but it’s much more unfamiliar than it is unusable.

I even don’t mind that weird top bar thingy now that I’ve got a higher-resolution screen :slight_smile:

yes, please big emphasis on the point that JAY IS DOING THIS IN HIS SPARE TIME. IF IT WASNT FOR HIM THE FORUM WOULD BE GONE BY NOW. THANKS. :smiley:

Yep, it all seems weird and minimalist at first, but it does work and is easy to use. Most importantly, it keeps things going, and everyone is able to carry on using this forum, which seems more like a club compared to many others out there. Give those working on it in the background time to develop it, as I am sure there’s lots of work to be done, and appreciate their efforts for doing this for us all. :slight_smile:

I like the site its simple
a lot like me :slight_smile:

@wise, perhaps a change in username would be in order? :smiley:

It’s grown on me as well… First days wasnt using it but now with the latest function it’s easy to catch up on mobile and desktop… Although I still don’t know what threads I’ve read :smiley:

i’ve definately got used to it and the only things i don’t like now are the pm function not being live and the ability to click on latest post. but they are being worked on so should be live soon.

It’ll grow on you Sleeper. I don’t miss the avatars or signatures to be honest. And it works great on the phone.

I just want to make clear this is not a dig at Jay. I guess I take a harsh view on this kind of thing as I work in the industry every day of the week…

I’ll drop in and see how things are going and hopefully the wait will not be too long

If you work in the industry every day you must piss off a lot of people every day with those people-skills!

Don’t worry, my skin is thicker than that. Stick around and it’ll improve in no time :slight_smile: