Enuma auto master link

Quick question in case I do something stupid… The chain link I bought appears to have been lost in the post, and O-ring ones are harder and more expensive to find. Would it be a bad idea to use an X-ring link, chain brand and size being otherwise the same?

I cannot think of a reason why it would, but best to look stupid for asking than looking stupid after an accident.

Was it the DID 520V ‘O’ ring link rivet off fleabay (my-moto-parts)?

Have the seller send you another they can claim up to £20 compensation off Royal Mail, assuming they didn’t scam Royal Mail for the postage.

It was, but they sent me the tracking number, and Royal Mail say they delivered it.

A single letterbox here is shared by several flats, but nothing else has been stolen (and no one else has a bike anyway) so no reason to suspect that. Which means it is Royal Mail’s word against mine.

So I was looking at this VX link, as as far as I am aware the only physical difference is the shape of the rings.

It probably does not matter too much right now anyway. Next week I will likely see a change of medication that will men being unable to ride until I adjust to that anyway.

After all that, by the time I had a replacement link more parts of the chain had seized that I had to abandon it, and go with the new sprockets and chain.

And after all that I cannot ride the bike because only when reattaching the wheel back did I discover this.

Although the tyre felt soft when I removed the wheel, but I thought that was just a result of it not having moved since March. Which in a way it was.

Although I have to attend a clinic on Friday and probably will not be able to ride for a while after that anyway.

Anyway, after all the fiddling with the chain tool, remembering how to use it, and constantly taking it on and off to make sure it is pressed or riveted enough but not too much, I am tempted by on the screw type master links.

A capital A for the start of every paragraph, which must please aceman.

2 Likes

Pre-ride checks how many of us cut corners on them?

Mine are to look at the floor for oil, kick the tyres, test the indicators and brake lights (peddle and lever), then just before moving give it a wee waddle and make sure each brake works.

Better to have caught the puncture now than before riding though. Maybe should make it a post-ride check.

Mind, I probably should check air pressure with a gauge more often, but then it will be always low from the air lost by fiddling around. So might be best just to get one of me groovy’s TPMS gadgets from China.