Engine oil.

Sam

Unless you do a full engine rebuild you will retain around half a litre of your old oil in the head crevices after an oil change.

I did hit the quote button furball
But I think it shot me down

…bang bang, you hit the ground, bang bang

Do you know I can’t wait to visit BM again so I can run my fingers through your chest hair lol

My thoughts are on 5.5k where has that oil gone for it to be on minimum !.?

It’s pretty normal for a new engine to consume oil when breaking it in, isn’t it? Either way, I’d just top it up and bring it up at the service. 

The tiger gets through >1L in 6K…

So a non geeky answer would be …consult your handbook for oil type
Enter any motorcycle shop or halfords
Purchase MOTORCYCLE oil not standard car oil …in the desired grade and viscosity …approx 1l will suffice
I would recommend a branded oil for a newer vehicle Castrol over halfords own but halfords over garage forecourt brand .
Pour in sufficent oil to get to max mark .
Ride bike . observing for any loss or leakage at convenient periods in its lifetime

Char mon.  Me just bin using da oil from da chip pan, but da engine started rattling.  So me added lard, from when after me cooked me special dumplings.  Me fink da cooking oil was too thin, but dis is aight now, cos da lard has like balanced everyfing out.  Me bike feels faster now.  Must be because of I special recipe from I dumplings is now in da Fireblade.

I would like to say what he said but I don’t have a clue what he said

Hey peeps. Thanks all for your input.
Bit of an update. I was busy at work so got the missus to pop into johns of romford.
She for some reasons come back with the wrong stuff, 10W40.
She showed the txt i sent with all the details, his read it and given her this stuff.
Makes me wonder what these guys use when servicing someones bike.

Anyway i checked the indicator window again thinking if its below minimum id leave the bike at home tomorrow til iv topped the oil up. But its now showing as full.
This was after my commute home and 5 min cool down.
Sunday when i checked it was a cold engine, started for a few mins then turned off. Cool down for couple mins then checked, and it showed on the minimum mark.

Now im thinking maybe i wasnt holding the bike stright. Iv only got a side stand so hsve to try hold the bike stright while i check the indicator window which is quite low down on the bike.

So i think il just have to keep and eye on it.

Yeah, it can take several minutes for the oil to dribble its way back down to the sump, best to check it before riding rather than after, it’s just tricky to think of it at that point…

Hey peeps. Thanks all for your input. Bit of an update. I was busy at work so got the missus to pop into johns of romford. She for some reasons come back with the wrong stuff, 10W40. She showed the txt i sent with all the details, his read it and given her this stuff. Makes me wonder what these guys use when servicing someones bike.

Anyway i checked the indicator window again thinking if its below minimum id leave the bike at home tomorrow til iv topped the oil up. But its now showing as full.
This was after my commute home and 5 min cool down.
Sunday when i checked it was a cold engine, started for a few mins then turned off. Cool down for couple mins then checked, and it showed on the minimum mark.

Now im thinking maybe i wasnt holding the bike stright. Iv only got a side stand so hsve to try hold the bike stright while i check the indicator window which is quite low down on the bike.

So i think il just have to keep and eye on it.

Cbr500Nav
You owe me for two big cups of popcorn as I was following this thread with interest all day

I think with most bikes, the oil level needs to be checked with the bike upright, about five minutes after it has cooled down.  This lets the oil settle down, rather than have some of it still clinging to the underside of the pistons and the other moving parts.